Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 03-08-2012, 10:55 PM

Default Intro....

My name is Mike and I've been been what Corbo calls a "lurker" (sounds kind of like a synonym for a prevert,,,ha) long enough . I've been flyfishing for about 4 yrs now, but only now do I consider myself as getting to the adequate category. I caught my first trout ( a cutthroat)4 yrs ago on the Grey River in Wyoming and I've been addicted ever since. Anyone who knows me know I would rather fish than eat and often do.
I've been an outdoors person most of my life and in 1989 began backpacking with my 2 brothers in the park. The only times we went was when the leaves were off , cause at that time , there were no bugs,no bears (usually), no people, and as I said, no leaves. My trail name was Chester and we went on to section hike over 450 mi. of the AT. Unfortunately , my bp days have pretty much ended - last trip was 7 yrs ago - due to my having been diagnosed with Parkinsons 9 years ago . One of my great regrets in life is that I hiked all those trails prior to ff and never gave it a thought .......what lost opportunities!!!!
I fish the Clinch and the Holston , but due to my poor wading abilities , I have a oneman pontoon boat with an electric trolling motor. The boat acts as my waders in these waters. I am trying to learn how and where to fish the park and wade there but in limited areas.
As far as a work background goes, I'm a former highschool English teacher and football coach , and after that stint was in consumer sales for 25 yrs.

Hope I haven't bored you too much

Mike
Old 03-09-2012, 09:30 AM

Mike, I believe I know you bro! I will be looking forward to hearing more about your stories and fishing adventures...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 PM

Yeah Mike.... don't be a stranger anymore.

If you want to fish the Holston with me just call me... 865-255-4840... we can keep an eye on each other. I too have a tough time wading as I crushed my right foot 25 years ago and had it rebuilt twice in just the last two years.

I'm like a WEEBLE except I occassionally do fall down...

Mostly I fish tailwaters as the Park & rock hopping is too hard on my right foot/ankle that's been mostly fused with donor bone.... hope the donor was a fly fisher!

My friend Dean hiked the entire AT after he retired then died two years later from lung cancer.... I've had a hard time walking for 25 years so hiking to fish or trying to out-run a bear would leave me crippled on the trail and eventually an easy meal.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the invite Corbo and I will take you up on that sooner than later. I've only fished the Nance's Ferry area there and use my pontoon boat.
You and I and a friend (who had a broken arm on one side and a broken shoulder on the other) of mine would make quite a trio fishing if we got together at the same time. I've also had a knee replacement and my right big toe fused and have metatarsal problems with both of my feet. If you don't mind telling me , who's your orthopedic surgeon?
Don't feel alone when it comes to falling. Some people look at me as if they think I've been drinking when I stumble around. Shawn and his brother once helped get me out of the water below the Weir and I've been helped by scores of fishermen getting my boat loaded or carrying some of the gear. I've been really blessed to meet so many nice folks on the water.
How old was Dean when he died ?
From what you say about not walking well, it would be quite a sight seeing the 2 off us trying to get away from a bear!!!

Later,,, Mike
Old 03-10-2012, 06:34 AM

I believe Dean was 68 when he died.

My back surgeries were all done in Maine; five of them... I returned to Maine to have the last two after I moved here.

My foot was done in December 2009 in Maine by a guy who is supposed to be the best in the nation.... I closed my businesses permanently then spent 5 1/2 months in traction through the winter.... as soon as I could drive in June 2010 I moved to TN. Starting my work here has been tough as I know few folks... Maine's a big place, few people but everyone knew me & the work we do. I had a construction, radon mitigation and water treatment business and also installed Dog Guard "outta sight fencing". We don't do water treatment here as nearly everyone has city water.

December 2010 my foot literally exploded; seems there was an infection inside ever since the big surgery.... nearly lost it again. It was a friday night and blood/puss was running out of it. In the middle of the night at Fort Sanders Dr. Patrick Bolt said my foot could not wait till monday so he "squeegee'd" the crap out of the open blow-out and said he would get a team put together for 7AM so he could save my foot.

HE DID.... oddly he mostly does back surgeries! I had to be connected to IV for over 3 months with strong antibiotics to kill out the infection in the bones of my foot even though he dug out most of the rotten tissue.

I still got it and still do construction work.... it doesn't look pretty and no doc can figure how I walk on it.

Funny thing is that my business partner is a crazy flyfisher too!

I like Nance's in the Spring but usually fish up river a bit; it's lumpy but I use a staff and go slow. I bet you could do it.

I highly recommend Dr. Bolt; wicked awesome man.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:45 AM

Welcome, Mike. As a kid on family Smokies camping and hiking trips I was fascinated watching small trout holding in the strong currents in WPLPR, but it was not until nearly fifty years later that I tried my hand at flyfishing. I eventually caught my first trout on a fly in Beaverdam Creek in NE TN. In was not until 2010 I caught my first native speck. You've got lots of time to enjoy. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-19-2012 at 08:18 AM..
Old 03-20-2012, 12:22 AM

Thanks for the welcome JoeFred, it's appreciated. I may have lots of time to fish , but reading the stories of some of the guys and their backcountry fishing trips makes me want to kick myself for not taking an interest sooner. But, for the most part, I'm truly blessed to be able to do the fishing in the beautiful locations I do now. Like today at Nances Ferry, I may have caught only 3 fish , but the weather was great and I got a closeup view of a mature bald eagle.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:26 PM

g022271 (Mike)--Here's a belated but nonetheless heartfelt welcome. You'll find lots of good folks here, worlds of knowledge, great insight, and plenty of individuals willing to be helpful.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 AM

Welcome Mike. The guys on here are real friendly and some of them are a bit of a jokster (like myself at times). Don't forget about the free shipping from the shop...it's saved me quite a few dollars.

-Dwayne