Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM

Default Guide in Trophy Section Cherokee?

I am coming up to Gatlinburg next week and would like to fish the Trophy Section in Cherokee. Any suggestions on a guide to take me through those waters for the first time?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:44 AM

I would imagine Hugh Hartsell, Jim Casada, Ian Rutter, would all be able to do it. Check on James Cates too. I think he guides out of a shop in Gatlinburg...or just call LRO. I bet they can put you on a good guide.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Local fly shop in Cherokee. They have some good and knowledgeable guides working for them. http://www.flyfishcherokee.com/
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Bama,

I would also second the idea about the local Cherokee fly shop that Old Tom mentions. I would also provide one additional idea for consideration.

I myself once went to the Cherokee fly shop and asked to be guided at the Cherokee Trophey Catch and Release section for the first time. After talking with the fly shop operator and their guides they recommended based on the time of year and conditions of the streams to let them guide me on a section of the Natahala.

My point being they understand when and where the best fly fishing is in the area. I was sure happy that i took their recommendation because we had a great day with their guide and caught some great fish. I later heard that the fishing on the Trophy area at that time of year was not doing near as well.

Mention your interested in the Trophy area but ask if they have a better recommendation.

Good luck
Old 03-09-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanx Guys!!
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 PM

BamaBum, are you in the TN Valley Fly Fishers club? We meet in Huntsville, I saw where you are in Madison (me too) so just curious.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I would imagine Hugh Hartsell, Jim Casada, Ian Rutter, would all be able to do it. Check on James Cates too. I think he guides out of a shop in Gatlinburg...or just call LRO. I bet they can put you on a good guide.
Doubt Mr. Casada would do it. He lives in SC and I don't think he guides. Also doubt that Ian would guide on that stretch of water...but I might be wrong.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-09-2012, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I knew I was in over my head but since no one had replied I felt obligated to help