Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Jed View Post
Shawn:
Tip of the hat to you sir, you called it. Like I said, I'm an engineer, just needed a couple of numbers.
I know your perspective. One of my under-graduate degrees is mechanical...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-07-2012, 10:15 PM

More water = more money = greedy gov. A$$ holes.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:31 PM

I hate to side with a govt agency, but in this case it should be obvious why they are pouring water through norris right now. I think the lake came up around 5 feet in a couple of days bringing it dangerously close to summer pool 3 months ahead of schedule, and at the start of the wet season.

TVA has zero choice, and never was able to get the lake down to winter pool because of the heavy rainfall over the winter.

This is reality, and having been around the Clinch fishery for decades now, prepares me for these events. They rarely have any negative impact on the fishery, and the times they do are when these events come in May/June.

Fisherman are the only ones affected by this, there is plenty of slack water, and holding water right now, and you could probably even wade fish the edges of many fields right now as the water is probably pushed out in most if not all of them.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:56 AM

Living outside Nashville, TN, trust me you do not want to run out of capacity to store flood waters. The May 2010 flood was a disaster.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
I hate to side with a govt agency, but in this case it should be obvious why they are pouring water through norris right now. I think the lake came up around 5 feet in a couple of days bringing it dangerously close to summer pool 3 months ahead of schedule, and at the start of the wet season.

TVA has zero choice, and never was able to get the lake down to winter pool because of the heavy rainfall over the winter.

This is reality, and having been around the Clinch fishery for decades now, prepares me for these events. They rarely have any negative impact on the fishery, and the times they do are when these events come in May/June.

Fisherman are the only ones affected by this, there is plenty of slack water, and holding water right now, and you could probably even wade fish the edges of many fields right now as the water is probably pushed out in most if not all of them.
Jim,
I tried drifting and fishing spilling+2 generators several times last year and I did not even see a fish. Any tips or pointers? I worked the inside bends and pulled the banks pretty hard. I even used some huge flies. It was insane how much energy was in the water. I watched my fly sink and rise by itself several times.

I agree that this will be the new norm for winter and spring since they raised the winter pool level. The operating guide is useless if you use the years previous to this change. One negative I am noticing is heavy erosion on the banks in many areas. I expect to see many new trees parked in the river this summer.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jim,
I tried drifting and fishing spilling+2 generators several times last year and I did not even see a fish. Any tips or pointers? I worked the inside bends and pulled the banks pretty hard. I even used some huge flies. It was insane how much energy was in the water. I watched my fly sink and rise by itself several times.

I agree that this will be the new norm for winter and spring since they raised the winter pool level. The operating guide is useless if you use the years previous to this change. One negative I am noticing is heavy erosion on the banks in many areas. I expect to see many new trees parked in the river this summer.
You are right on several levels, the river banks do take a beating for sure. Their is some good news IMO however, and that is the didymo gets whacked by these flows while the long brown clinch moss does extremely well, and subsequently we usually have massive sulphur hatches on years following these events.

I have zero pointers for fishing these high flows. I like you have tried it over the years and had virtually no success. I have occasionally found a few fish up rising on the edges along Donnie's if it happens during sulphur season or later in the summer. But this time of year it is a total waste of time IMO.

Good luck, and wish I had some sort of clue myself as to how to catch fish at this water level.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:11 PM

During the last flood out here in west tn and west ky on barkley and kentucky lakes, the water levels were so high as to close off some of the boat ramps. Long story short, fish came shallow to spawn, laid eggs, flood was over, TVA sucked the bottom out of the lake. Killed the spawn. During meetings with fish and wildlife and TVA, TVA basically finally said, "We are flood control and power generators, we don't have time to worry about the fishing. flyguys
Old 03-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguys View Post
<snip>...TVA basically finally said, "We are flood control and power generators, we don't have time to worry about the fishing. flyguys
Actually, TVA is required by the act that created them to provide navigability of the waterways and flood control first and foremost. Power generation falls below those two and everything else (recreational use) is just a happy bonus once the other duties are met. Sucks for us, but what can you do. They had problems during the bad drought years when they couldn't release enough water for electricity generation because they had to hold enough back to ensure navigation through the lower stretches.

The actual text of the original Tennessee Valley Authority Act of 1933 can be found at http://www.tva.com/abouttva/pdf/TVA_Act.pdf

Pay particular attention to the order in which their responsibilities are listed in the following section:

(j) Shall have power to construct such dams, and reservoirs, in the Tennessee River
and its tributaries, as in conjunction with Wilson Dam, and Norris, Wheeler, and
Pickwick Landing Dams, now under construction, will provide a nine-foot channel in the
said river and maintain a water supply for the same, from Knoxville to its mouth, and will
best serve to promote navigation on the Tennessee River and its tributaries and control
destructive flood waters in the Tennessee and Mississippi River drainage basins; and
shall have power to acquire or construct power houses, power structures, transmission
lines, navigation projects, and incidental works in the Tennessee River and its tributaries,
and to unite the various power installations into one or more systems by transmission
lines. The directors of the Authority are hereby directed to report to Congress their
recommendations not later than April 1, 1936, for the unified development of the
Tennessee River system.

Also note that the 9' navigation channel and water supply requirements only go from Knoxville to the mouth of the system, which helps explain why all the tailwater fishing is upstream from Knoxville. Interesting read if you've got the time and inclination.

Last edited by Stana Claus; 03-09-2012 at 07:33 PM.. Reason: Added link to the TVA Act & text
Old 03-09-2012, 09:40 PM

Thank you Santa!

That was written a long time ago and I think it is time for all the tailwater folks to re-write how the river is managed....

Not to brag.... but I'm a bit of an expert on these matters.

Every two years TVA must complete and submit a recreational plan to FERC, it's called, "Form 80" and it is a "process".

To participate in "The process" you must get "status" and to have status you must petition for it as a "stake holder" in how the river is operated. It is important to have a "constituency" like a pile of TU members who write a Statement that they wish to have status.

The Form 80 process "traditionally" has focused on revreational improvements that licensees make or maintain on the project impoundment... I have sucessfully changed FLOWS and have been granted recreational improvements to the recreational values BELOW dams.

Typically the State (Here that would be TWRA) "participates" by rubber stamping whatever TVA wants/aggrees/ or feels like doing.... same with most of the sub-departments from INTERIOR & COMMERCE. So you need to be heard and provide data supporting your argument.

Now; in the case of the Clinch.... TVA is supposed to perform studies concerning the recreational use of their impoundment AND TAILWATER... this is often described in terms of "angler days or angler hours" when it comes to fishing. The data suggests and the TWRA biologist confirm that this has long been a favorite tailwater fisher with sustainable year around opportunities EXCEPT that the flows suck!

So they need to dump water, generate or whatever... like I care! Do it at night!

I could do this for you guys & any river you want to change the flow regime, minimum flow etc. Heck, would you like more PUBLIC ACCESS?

It is entirely likely we could MAKE TVA buy riverfront for parking and access.... I have done this many times.

If you don't ask, don't demand and don't stand up you don't get ****.

Sorry for the loooong diatribe; I know so many of you are frustrated... but WE can re-write how things are traditionally done. I've taken on the hydro power industry before and I'm not afraid of the TVA, TWRA or FERC..... they on the other hand ought be afraid of US..... it's the PEOPLES RIVER, NOT THEIR RIVER.... CLAIM IT!