Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-27-2012, 07:20 AM

I scored a red fox tail last year on Goose Gap Road outside P-forge.

Still living down the Reputation I got years ago when Paul Guernsey Was Editor of Fly Rod & Reel; he mentioned in his "Editor's Notes" how I stopped by his place one day and asked if he wanted a chunk of roadkill beaver.

He told me he didn't eat beaver; his loss.

This is what he had to say when I showed up with a squirrel.

http://www.flyrodreel.com/magazine/2...warm-and-fuzzy
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 AM

My white shepherd provides me with an endless supply of parachute post material.....

Not that he is always happy about it....

Old 03-15-2012, 05:16 PM

Saw a youtube link on using Gorilla Glue for foam bodies. It's pretty cool. You use the "fast cure" kind and mix it with a little water. Wait for it to foam and paint it onto the hook. Once it sets you can color it with markers. On the video a guy added GG foam to the hook, then palmered a hackle through it, Made a really neat buggy looking bug.

--Matt

BTW Your original link for those toothpicks or whatever is dead. Do I need some special permission to view it?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM

Actually it's a link to another forum and you must be a member to view it I spose..

If the pictures still exist in cyberland, photo bucket or somewhere in my computer I will see if my wife can post them here. I am computer challenged.... heck I cannot even figure how to program my very basic cell phone.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:56 PM

Corbo.. I joined that other forum. Thanks for the info. Those look awesome!! Do you ever weight them? I usually fish with floating line and have trouble getting streamers down.

What is that material you're using? the tube stuff?

--Matt
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 AM

Matt;

On the toothpick streamers I use two different materials to coat the body; two part epoxy OR Softex.... the epoxy sinks faster but has a tendency to turn "amber" then brown over time if if left in a flybox in a dark closet. The softex won't turn color but is less heavy.

I've caught trout, landlocked salmon, SM bass and stripers on the toothpick streamers but always waited till spring to make a new batch due to discoloration of epoxy.

There are also different ways to make them with various woven tube materials.

I also make "cord body buuny flies" that are pretty cool and catch fish like mad; they too have eyes, a scally body but have the SEDUCTIVE addition of a bunny strip on the dorsal so they flutter down between strips.

If you want to go DEEP..... I have another fly that will do it and it's awesome... Maybe Danny, AKA Troutmanbrook, will report on their use/effectiveness as I just sent him a few.

Danny; mybe you read this and post a few pics of the flies I describe?

Perhaps I could try to tie a few of these flies in sequence with photo's and post them... unfortunately I seperated my shoulder last saturday and can barely use my left arm. Hard to do construction one armed; impossible to tie flies or fish... today I have to install a radon mitigation system; thank God I have a young guy (inexperienced) to operate my enormous concrete drill or I would be totally screwed.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 AM

Corbo: Sorry to hear about your injury. Shoulder pain isn't fun.

I'd love more info on those patterns. I fish near my work at ponds during my lunch hour and heavy, sinking flies tend to work better for me there.

I must have missed the epoxy part of the other writeup. Makes more sense now. I've been wanting to try that UV cure stuff... Clear Cure Goo. I wonder if it'd work well, and if it sinks.

--Matt
Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM

Matt;

Shoulder hurts but I manged through work anyway.

If you would like to try a unique fish catching streamer I'll mail you some to try out that will get down, ride hook point UP and seemingly look like nothing but they cath everything from trout to pike.

Call me with your address. 865-255-4840 If I can find some extra stim-u-dents I will toss them in the envelope... got too much tying stuff but I'll find them. Could also make the stim-u-dents onto a shank so you see what it looks like "bare". I use hard as nails on the thread wrapped body with criss-crossed thread and it reinforces everything.

When I cover stim-u-dent streamers with MYLAR tubing I often just coat with sally hansen and let dry... perlescent (sp) tubing works good if you can find it wide enough. If you tie the rear and then pull to the front it adapsts to the shap of the body.

They are fun to make but showing folks is much easier than photos. You can also put a dark bunny strip over the top.

I tie many of them on long shank stainless hooks too.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 AM

Forgot to mention a simple one:

Extra-hot coffee in a sealed canning jar, a little salt, and a little vinegar will help tint most hackles for the 'ginger' color. Works good on your teeth as well.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-23-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbo View Post
Matt;

I also make "cord body buuny flies" that are pretty cool and catch fish like mad; they too have eyes, a scally body but have the SEDUCTIVE addition of a bunny strip on the dorsal so they flutter down between strips.

If you want to go DEEP..... I have another fly that will do it and it's awesome... Maybe Danny, AKA Troutmanbrook, will report on their use/effectiveness as I just sent him a few.

Danny; mybe you read this and post a few pics of the flies I describe?
Sorry, not been active on the board in a few weeks, being the network admin for 6 major auto dealerships singlehandedly, is starting to take its toll on me. here are a few pics of the flies. I have caught a small LMbass on, i think, the green cyclops. I did get busted off with the other cord fly. I didn't want to change my leader (5x) and got a big fish on, and lost the fly and fish. hope the pics help.