Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Default 2 hours at Tremont

I fished 2 hours along the gravel road at Tremont today. I had one good bite
on a bhpt. I only saw one fish feeding on the surface ,and he was not interested in my dry fly. It was very overcast this afternoon at Tremont.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:34 PM

Water was high wasn't it?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:13 PM

Default Little River Slow

Spent about 3 hrs above Elkmont...4 fish, a good 10 in brown (on a dry). The hatch never materialized. Lots of water.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:28 PM

I consider the roadside portion of MPLR to be the hardest of any to fish on the TN side of the park. I contribute it to the quantity of fishermen it consistently sees on a daily basis. Dare I say, but I feel more hate for this section of water than love. I routinely drive right past it to fish other small streams in the area, and if I am really looking for some fantastic fishing I expect to put in at least 6 miles roundtrip hiking.

That being said, the headwaters above the parking area are some fantastic streams.

I have found that just a little bit of leg time, even 1/2 mile, will increase your fishing success.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-26-2012, 07:20 AM

You are right about Tremont being crowded. I was short on time, and spent
too much time looking at wildflowers instead of fishing in a better location.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:18 AM

Tremont crowded? I have fished it a number of times and only seen one or two other anglers. Fished during the week and weekends- same same.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
I fished 2 hours along the gravel road at Tremont today.
Look at it this way, you were out there fishing and the rest of us were sitting in our offices.

Want-a-switch ?

Just kidding, I actually love what I do, even more than fishing you might say.

But it is nice to be out there ...
Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Tremont crowded? I have fished it a number of times and only seen one or two other anglers. Fished during the week and weekends- same same.
Was going to visit Sam in the headwaters above Tremont bright and early on Monday 4/2. As I pulled up there were 2 guys getting out of a white pickup that looked very concerned that they might have company.

I let them have a couple minutes head start and as I started hiking up from the gravel parking lot a third vehicle, a green pickup arrived as well.

I just about caught up with the 2 anglers after the 2nd bridge (metal with cables; when did that tree fall on it?)

Seeing footprints on rocks and possibly having someone else behind me isn't part of the Sam's experience for me, so I stopped there and fished the middle prong back down to the parking lot, and had it all to myself. I fished for about four hours, had a lot of hits and a landed handful - a lot of fun with the feisty little rainbows pounding a Thunderhead dry.

As I drove back down there were several "wide load" semis with huge concrete blocks of some sort - what's going on at the Institute? As I got to the intersection with Laurel Creek Rd, the gate was closed but thankfully not locked (I was already in trouble for leaving the wife and kids at the cabin too long).

-Matt-
Old 04-10-2012, 01:07 PM

Matt, maybe I'm lucky or just living right. I have fished the MPLR many times and been the only one on it. Fished from the turnaround to the main road.
I always like to follow others and catch what they miss. I used to do that with my son and he would get mad that he missed fish!
Old 04-10-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
I consider the roadside portion of MPLR to be the hardest of any to fish on the TN side of the park. I contribute it to the quantity of fishermen it consistently sees on a daily basis. Dare I say, but I feel more hate for this section of water than love. I routinely drive right past it to fish other small streams in the area, and if I am really looking for some fantastic fishing I expect to put in at least 6 miles roundtrip hiking.

That being said, the headwaters above the parking area are some fantastic streams.

I have found that just a little bit of leg time, even 1/2 mile, will increase your fishing success.

Wow Travis...I've had the best luck there. Got my biggest one on in the park and my biggest to hand so far on that stretch. I tie my own flies so they may be seeing something they don't see too often, hence my good luck...maybe I've just hit it at the right times. I love that stretch though. Funny how people have differenct views on places in the park.