Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
No worries man! Will you be hiking in a lot then?
Compared to you, probably not. Still have some issues with compressed discs in my back, but I do plan on hitting Sam's or at least the stream on the trail to it (Don't know all the streams yet, not even close). Looking at Walker Camp...WPLP across from Sugarlands...maybe even go over and hit Bradley Fork down the trail a mile or so...also thinking of the E. Prong where it leaves the road going toward Cades Cove...just wherever that is not right on the road really. I am going to be hitting a few big holes that I know of and trying to get a large trout to hand. I didn't understand why you advocated 4X tippet until last fall when I got that big one on...just wish I hadn't panicked and pulled him against current instead of with current...he would have been my largest in the park by far. Anyway, if you get bored drop by. I'll have some smores and probably something decent to eat (hotdogs, burgers etc). I'm in a red jeep cherokee laredo with dark tinted windows. That's open to everyone on the board. I'll be at Elkmont unless they are full and then I think I'll head to Cades Cove (April 21-30). Take care and thanks again.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:31 PM

If you are specifically targetting big browns, use as heavy of a tippet as your fly can handle. If throwing streamers, don't fish anything lighter than 2x. Big nymphs, 3x... 4x and 5x are only when using standard sized trout flies which are sometimes the best way to get a big one to bite. I do know of some big fish caught this spring on 6x but you must be extremely careful using something this light.
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-28-2012, 06:07 PM

Thanks for that! I was just going to use 4X...glad you clued me in as I don't want to lose another one (notice I can't stop talking about it? ). I'll have to stop by LRO and pick a couple of 3X leaders and a spool of tippet up. I think 4X is my heaviest right now. Hopefully I have a nice one to post later. Other than hittinng a few holes that I know about I should be more off road that I am usually. I do plan on hitting by the road at Tremont as I love that stretch but that's about it along the road.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Very nice.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM

Good job dude. Can you tell us more about the olive ice dub nymph thing? I haven't heard of that one, but will totally understand if it is a secret. Will it work in late April?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM

Thanks guys! Rob, the key is that the pattern represents a caddis pupa. Very few people fish any caddis patterns other than an EHC or CDC and Elk... Caddis are quite prevalent in Smokies streams and well worth fishing. If you would like more information on the pattern, feel free to email me...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com