Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
The key factors for most of the tailwaters in E. TN are CFS Rate and the displacement amount of the boat. I usually clamp an old jumper cable claw with a rope attached to a tree branch if I am looking to hold a position. I had four-clamps left over when I wired my trolling motor mainline to my battery utilizing a nice Sears doorbusting sale on jumper cables.

Also; I use an spring loaded anchor davit I designed and built for my fishing on the Clinch. My setup utilizes a tackle and pulley design with a spring loaded cushion on one end. This acts as a shock absorber when I drag and get snagged.

I am still trying to perfect a setup for the Clinch. I have lost about 3 anchors in the past 4 years and one chain-ball. Try some of the techniques I posted earlier and see if they work for you Rod.

Also; let me know if you need another anchor and I will set it out for you or drop it off at your house the next time I visit my brother...
I might take you up on that if you have a 30 pounder laying around. Or an extra chain ball that weighs that much? Also I thought about looking around for a big piece of steal pipe and try makeing me on.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:40 AM

Rod, I do have a 30# anchor; but, I promised it to a friend already.

Another thing I see often is those old window weights. I have found tons of these on the river. I did not know what they were at first. You may be able to find one of those in the 30# range.

You are welcome to one of the 15# anchors I have left. I could rig you one up with a release like my previous picture. Maybe it would help reduce the chances of losing one.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 PM

i lost a mushroom anchor on the left channel of miller island a couple years ago trying to stop my canoe in shallow water (1 gen). it was the anchor or us, my canoe nearly tipped over taking my brother, myself and gear with it. this was not the first anchor we had lost so i decided if was going to keep buying anchors i might as well just dump my wallet out into the river. now i use two window weights bolted together at the top with a copper bolt, and a hose clamp in the middle to keep them together. i put a piece of a thick plastic straw over the bolt so the threads don't chew the rope, and painted them to help stave off rust. they have never hung up so bad i can't retrieve them, but they will not stop you very well in moving water. they also will stand up and lay back down, but i like the design as it almost never gets hung. i have not found the perfect answer to this problem yet. if i must stop in moving water i usually tie off to a tree along the bank for a bit

i used to use an old, heavily painted brake rotor sometimes for stopping mid stream but have learned its just not safe to do so in a canoe, especially with other boats around putting off a wake. also no matter how much i painted it i could not get it to cover the inside well enough to stop it from leaching rust into the river. i still carry it as a backup but am going to replace it with something better soon.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
i lost a mushroom anchor on the left channel of miller island a couple years ago trying to stop my canoe in shallow water (1 gen). it was the anchor or us, my canoe nearly tipped over taking my brother, myself and gear with it. this was not the first anchor we had lost so i decided if was going to keep buying anchors i might as well just dump my wallet out into the river. now i use two window weights bolted together at the top with a copper bolt, and a hose clamp in the middle to keep them together. i put a piece of a thick plastic straw over the bolt so the threads don't chew the rope, and painted them to help stave off rust. they have never hung up so bad i can't retrieve them, but they will not stop you very well in moving water. they also will stand up and lay back down, but i like the design as it almost never gets hung. i have not found the perfect answer to this problem yet. if i must stop in moving water i usually tie off to a tree along the bank for a bit

i used to use an old, heavily painted brake rotor sometimes for stopping mid stream but have learned its just not safe to do so in a canoe, especially with other boats around putting off a wake. also no matter how much i painted it i could not get it to cover the inside well enough to stop it from leaching rust into the river. i still carry it as a backup but am going to replace it with something better soon.
I see those window weights out there and I have heard they work well. Also; I have noticed many brake rotors as well....

I think you are being safe in not anchoring in a canoe. I see more of those flip on the river than anything. I don't think I would ever drift in a canoe again with a generator running. It was too unstable the few times I have tried it.
to choose, to respond, to change.”