Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM

Default Advice/Suggestions Needed

I've got a 9' one man pontoon boat that is equipped with a electric trolling motor. Overall, I'm pleased with the boat, but I've GOT to solve 2 problems.
1st problem - the motor mounts are on the right and left side of the boat behind the seat. Because of my Parkinsons, I'm not very flexible and it is impossible for me too reach back with my right arm/hand to reach the tiller /handle , so I've got to turn to my right and get the handle with my left hand to steer. Essentially , I'm twisted all the way around and that is really hard to do for more than a minute or so , plus I would say that it looks pretty stupid. The solution I see is to get an extension handle with a universal joint ($55). Does anyone know if this would work so that I could steer it comfortably with my right hand or not before I waste the money?
2nd problem - the motor is mounted on the right side behind my seat. It's a constant battle to keep the boat from wanting to turn to the left , so much so that sometimes I just go in a circle and try to come out of it in the desired direction. I look like a drunken sailor!! Some of you may have already seen me zigzagging onthe Holston or Clinch. I was thinking of making a small fiberglass keel and inserting it between the pontoon and metal frame on the left pontoon to help straighten the boat out . Again, your thoughts and sugestions are needed and welcome

Thanks

Mike
Old 04-10-2012, 06:47 AM

Can you mount the motor in front of you?

I want to get a light weight trailerable jet boat; sold my two big ones the last couple years as they were too big for the rivers here.

Mike, consider something 12 or 14 feet with a small outboard jet and a front trolling motor.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:56 AM

Mike,
Give me a shout and I will see if I can give you some suggestions. Also; I would gladly help do any modifications for you.

Also; you are welcome to use my aluminum boat with trolling motor any time.
SM
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-10-2012, 09:17 AM

Mike, Rodney Jennings here, I talked with you up on the Holston one day. That's my old boat that you have. When I had it, I made a handle for the trolling motor out of PVC, This madeit somewhat easier to use. Just find you some PVC cut it to length that you want. Drill and tap a hole for a set screw. slid the PVC over the handle of the trolling motor tighten the set set screw and there ya have it. Cheap and easy fix.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

When you power a boat with any power source, you are required to register it with the state of TN.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:22 PM

Sorry for taking so long to get back to the guys who have responded so far to my request, busy day pond fishing for bluegill and mainly largemouth bass with poppers and my flyrod. Didn't take a camera, but it was great fun . the largemouth really went for the yellow Stealth Bomber. Largest one landed went about 1 1/2 lbs, while I had a big one break me off.
As for my boat, there's no place to mount the motor in front , but thanks Corbo.
Rod, I got a similar suggestion from another person that I will try that is like your idea. Thanks .
Knothead , I've been there and done that. thanks.

Shawn , I'll give you a call tomorrow if your going to be around.

Mike