Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-10-2012, 03:38 PM

I don't know if it is a confidence thing or what but I routinely skip a lot of the lower parts of MPLR. I usually start just before what I call the "Cliffside" pull off or in those parts and then moving upstream, hit my favorite holes. Some of the lower river looks great and I may at times take a cast here and there but I have not had much luck down there. However, in the upper reaches I have never found a problem finding fish. I also like fishing the lower section of Thunderhead Prong from Sams down to where it joins MPLR.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-10-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Wow Travis...I've had the best luck there. Got my biggest one on in the park and my biggest to hand so far on that stretch. I tie my own flies so they may be seeing something they don't see too often, hence my good luck...maybe I've just hit it at the right times. I love that stretch though. Funny how people have differenct views on places in the park.
One man's trash is another man's treasure....I hate that road side section. Glad you like it BRF. I have set out to fish it a handful of times and have done ok. Agree with Travis on the walking...you got to pay to play.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

After re-reading this thread, let me add that my first experience on the MPLR (and the Park) was five rainbows, four browns, two brookies. My first and only GSMNP Grand Slam- all from the MPLR from the lower end up into the gravel road. I was surprised I caught the brookies at such a low elevation.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
After re-reading this thread, let me add that my first experience on the MPLR (and the Park) was five rainbows, four browns, two brookies. My first and only GSMNP Grand Slam- all from the MPLR from the lower end up into the gravel road. I was surprised I caught the brookies at such a low elevation.
When was this?

Old 04-10-2012, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knothead View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
When was this?
My thoughts exactly...
Certainly an impressive day on the Middle Prong but the brookie part has me confused...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-10-2012, 05:04 PM

My son and I fished Sams on Friday, April 6. The water was REALLY high after a big rain the night before but when you get a day away you make the most of it.

The first time my fly hit the water (not counting the deep stream crossing ) I caught my first fish - never happened before. We were able to fish the small pockets on the sides and a few slower runs and each caught 6 before my son had to get back for his son's baseball practice.

One notable observation from the day was on the return hike there were thousands of little hoppers or crickets jumping around in the grass along the trail. I concluded that the terrestrials will make an early showing this year along with all the other early signs.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Charlie, I think you meant that there were millions of small hoppers. I was up there hiking Sunday, and there were so many, it sounded like rain on the leaves. I've got a picture of one on my camera, and will post it when I get around to it. Most were between 1/4 to 1/2 inch and all were black. Is never seen so many grasshoppers in one place before.

I'm glad some folks like MPLR. I personally dislike the place.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
One man's trash is another man's treasure....I hate that road side section. Glad you like it BRF. I have set out to fish it a handful of times and have done ok. Agree with Travis on the walking...you got to pay to play.

There are some good spots with undercut banks along that road. Lots of deep holes too. I don't see it as a walking issue. I think it depends on if you are after size or not. I know there are large fish up high as well. I'm not so certain that there are as many. I think if a person is out to catch a lot of fish that walking to less travelled runs is a good idea. At this point I am after larger fish. I've gotten into one or two on my last couple of trips. Now I just need to get them to hand. I do want to get into some less travelled areas this trip. With nine days in the mountains, I should have time to do both. My last trip up, I caught about 6 fish in 4 hours along that road. Having said that, I understand it's not for everyone. I just found it interesting the different views on it.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
There are some good spots with undercut banks along that road. Lots of deep holes too. I don't see it as a walking issue. I think it depends on if you are after size or not. I know there are large fish up high as well. I'm not so certain that there are as many. I think if a person is out to catch a lot of fish that walking to less travelled runs is a good idea. At this point I am after larger fish. I've gotten into one or two on my last couple of trips. Now I just need to get them to hand. I do want to get into some less travelled areas this trip. With nine days in the mountains, I should have time to do both. My last trip up, I caught about 6 fish in 4 hours along that road. Having said that, I understand it's not for everyone. I just found it interesting the different views on it.
The fish, large or small, don't know/care where the roads are....

Old 04-10-2012, 09:40 PM

I think the bigger water of the MP tends to hold more large fish, at least until it gets near the headwaters...same for the east and west prongs, but I could be wrong...it's just been my experience, though I have heard others say the same. I was speaking more to the size of the water on that stretch. I agree where the roads are mean nothing to the fish.