Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-15-2014, 05:58 PM

Default A Good Day on West Prong of Little Pigeon

Today was a scheduled day off from work. I had to give the West Prong a try. I am glad I did, the fish were very active today.

This was the first fish of the day.

Fish number 2.

Fish number 3.

Number 4

Five

Six

After several misses, I ended my day with six total. For me that makes for a very good day. :-)
Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM

Thanks for the report. I have not tried the West prong yet. I am going up tomorrow maybe I will give it a try. Fell free to join me if you have tomorrow as well.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:18 PM

Default Unfortunately Can't make it tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Thanks for the report. I have not tried the West prong yet. I am going up tomorrow maybe I will give it a try. Fell free to join me if you have tomorrow as well.
Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately my family has other plans for me tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:44 PM

I haven't fished the west prong in a few years. When I did I came in from the road. I remember the fish being small and aggressive, and also that I fell and busted my booty as many times that day as I have since.

Thanks for the report and making me realize I need to bust my butt a few more times soon

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM

I love fishing the WPLP....started my trout fishing there when I was 14 and the river was a Sportsman's Stream...those streams so designated required all fish under 16" be released and only one fish could be kept over that size. Never got one that big but there were many 50-60 fish days there from the Park HQ up to the Chimney's picnic area...back then this was a full blown campground....this time of year don't be afraid to toss a big PMX in yellow or red....this can be fun...takes just as much energy by the trout to eat a small bug as it does a big bug...enjoy.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM

Oh wow. West prong little PIGEON. Guess i misread the post title lol.

Email Punk

http://lastdrifteffort.blogspot.com
Old 08-22-2014, 02:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

Rog1. When you started fishing it was the hatchery still in operation st the chimneys? Its amazing how the streams, the fish, and the regulations have changed over the last 65 years or so....I love stories of "how the fishing used to be". My grandfather passed away a few years back...he was full of hunting fishing camping, and life stories of how things used to be...
Old 08-25-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
Rog1. When you started fishing it was the hatchery still in operation st the chimneys? Its amazing how the streams, the fish, and the regulations have changed over the last 65 years or so....I love stories of "how the fishing used to be". My grandfather passed away a few years back...he was full of hunting fishing camping, and life stories of how things used to be...
2weight...Yes when I started fishing in the park I was 13 years old...that was 54 years ago. The hatchery was still located above the campground in the Chimneys Picnic area. This was a full blown campground and there always seemed to be a bear trap inside the campground. Back then the only off road access to the WPLP was at the Huskey Gap trailhead....there were none of these quiet walkways leading to the river. My cousin and I would be dropped off at the HQ bridge and we would fish around to where the handicap trail is now located...we would catch 3-4 fish in a pool and the amount of fish overall was huge. There also used to be a full campsite over in Greenbrier where the picnic area is now located.
Old 08-25-2014, 04:54 PM

Looks like if was fun for all. Have to get up that way when I'm in the area.Thanks for the report.