Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 08-15-2014, 05:51 PM

Thanks for all the help. I am going to try on boots this weekend.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:51 AM

I would suggest buying a pair of Simms Guide Boots. The extra $50-75 in this purchase will help you get 3-4 more years of comfortable use than the Simms Freestone Boots. I go through a pair of Simms Boots each year and Simms has been positive in replacing them.

I like felt with cleats for tailwaters.

This is the pair I wear and they have held up better than any previous models, plus you can get it in size 14.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 AM

Like Shawn, l have historically gone through a pair of wading boots every year. However, these Chota STL boots l mentioned above are in their third year with well 450 plus days on them and still functioning well , with original laces and all. Far and away the best wading boots l have ever owned. Felt, of course.

As to the Korkers l have zero personal experience. However there is another web site , sort of Nashville based, which has currently a thread reviewing Korkers wading boots, and if l read it correctly about everyone of the posters there who recently bought the boots have returned them, due to disintegration, within the first year,,,one guy three times.. Maybe the product is great but the reviews there and the reviews herein this thread are dramatically different. fwiw.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:08 PM

Default Another option

I owned the Chota STL boots 4-5 years ago. Good quality boot for the price. A little on the heavy side (not great for long hikes), and they take a long time to dry; otherwise, no complaints. Just don't leave them too close to a camp fire! I wouldn't hesitate to buy them again.
The last couple of years I've used Simms vibram with the alumibite cleats. They have finally reached the point of no return. I think I paid somewhere around $150 when I purchased them. Cleats require constant replacement and cost quite a bit. Basically, I spent $250 total on the boots and cleats, and they lasted about three years.
I was going to buy the boots recommended by MadisonBoats, but I found out a few days ago that Patagonia updated their Rock Grip boots, so I purchased last year's version instead for about 1/2 price. From my research, it sounds like the RockGrip are about as good as it gets for traction, but a lot of folks have issues with fit, and they're apparently relatively heavy, so long hikes probably won't be an option. I'll soon find out.
Either way, I'd add Patagonia to your list of options. I've heard very few complaints from the folks that use them.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Update to my new Korkers. A couple weeks ago I spent 10 days fishing nearly every day. With at least 5 hours in the water kicking rocks and boulders in the Smokies, Cherokee and in the Chattooga River. I had no problems whatsoever with my Korkers. The felt soles worked like a dream on those slippery rocks. They are comfortable to wear all day as well as very nice boots to walk to and from the rivers. With my time in my Korkers boots I would have to give them 5 stars out of 5 stars.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:54 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnohero View Post
Update to my new Korkers. A couple weeks ago I spent 10 days fishing nearly every day. With at least 5 hours in the water kicking rocks and boulders in the Smokies, Cherokee and in the Chattooga River. I had no problems whatsoever with my Korkers. The felt soles worked like a dream on those slippery rocks. They are comfortable to wear all day as well as very nice boots to walk to and from the rivers. With my time in my Korkers boots I would have to give them 5 stars out of 5 stars.
Like you I fell in love with the concept of the Korkers

Like everyone else I found out that they just don't hold up (although each generation seems to get a little better)

Like to see how you feel about the boots 6 months to a year from now

BTW Chota just stopped making the STL
Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 PM

I ended up going with the simms guide boots. I have put 10-12 miles on them and seem to be hold up great!!
Old 09-16-2014, 08:08 PM

I'm glad this thread came up. I've got 2 pairs of Korkers that need to go in the garbage as some as this season comes to an end. One pair are 4 years old and easily the best boots I've ever owned. They are just at the end of their life and deserve all the compliments I can give them. The other pair have been trying to self-destruct as soon as they were out of warranty. They currently have the replaceable sole "gorilla glued" to the permanent sole. The green canvas boots have been more durable than these.

I've always liked the fact that the Chota company is local. I'll probably give a pair of their better boots a run.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunked again View Post
I ended up going with the simms guide boots. I have put 10-12 miles on them and seem to be hold up great!!
I have went through about 5 different brands in the last 5-6 years. The Simm's Guide Model I posted has held up the best for my continued use. Well; with the exclusion of the laces. They last 2-3 months and I end up replacing with heavy duty boot laces. Good choice!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Last edited by MadisonBoats; 09-19-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Old 09-18-2014, 09:31 PM

Shawn,
You are spot on with the Simms Guide Boot. Started with the Canvas Orvis then to the Korkers then to the Simms Guide w/ felt and finally to the Simms Guide boot with carbide studs. These boots perform so well, I had to buy a back up pair just in case my first pair broke down. I could not do without!!!

Three years in.....no problems and the best of sure feet on a stream or on hike to a small stream one could hope for.

Two items you should never cut corners on:

1) The bed you sleep on

OR

2) The shoes / boots you wear..........because if you'r not in one, your in the other!!!

Breck