Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-27-2014, 03:00 PM

Hi Brad,

Just got back from a 2-day float on the Cumberland River. My buddy Frank Brown and I stayed at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park. We went down to Hatchery Creek Sunday afternoon and looked around. We have been there several times and even fished there years ago.

Frank was the Kentucky Wildlife Commissioner who pushed for and got the slot limits on the Cumberland many years ago. He was the only trout fisherman on the commission at the time. He served 12 years.

We drove around the back roads and found the construction entrance.

This morning, we went back hoping to see you. I did talk to one of the guys who works on the project. He was leaving to catch an airplane to take photos of the project from the air. He said you were really busy so I gave him my card to pass on to you.

Please send me an e-mail. I would like to highlight this project on our website but I would need feeds from you.

There must be many other locations suitable for a project like this one. This seems to me to be a very important model for the future and I want to let others know, using our website, what can be done.

I grew up in Kentucky near Lexington and spent much of my childhood fishing Lake Cumberland. That is a very special place to me. I am thrilled to see what you guys are doing.

Frank and I floated with guide Hagan Wonn Monday and Tuesday. Fishing was awesome Monday and slower yesterday. Hagan is an excellent guide and a good guy to spend two days with on the river. It was with him that I hooked the largest trout in my life probably 10 or more years ago, on the Cumberland.

Thanks,

Byron Begley
Old 08-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Grannyknot,

I am so sorry I missed your post and question. Hatchery Creek is the outflow from the National Fish Hatchery. This weekend we hiked as far as we could where the new stream bed will be built. It is flat where we were and looked to be perfect for a future stream.

The Cumberland River is not a lost cause. Now that the dam has been repaired, flows are mostly back to normal. Fishing is good. The river is coming back. An angler caught a 30" brown there a few days ago. We caught rainbows, browns and brook trout. They all looked healthy and fought hard.

Byron
Old 08-27-2014, 05:52 PM

Byron- saw Hagan today on the river and he was bragging on you.

It doesn't take a genius to see a nice catch and release stream meandering down through the Walnut Orchard below Norris; or a spawning channel/catch and release stream. Only take s money and a plan….
Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Congleton View Post
Byron- saw Hagan today on the river and he was bragging on you.

It doesn't take a genius to see a nice catch and release stream meandering down through the Walnut Orchard below Norris; or a spawning channel/catch and release stream. Only take s money and a plan….
He was probably bragging about the fact that I fished in his boat two days and did not hook him once. Now I'm bragging!

You are right about the money and the plan. What would be needed first is the plan. Then, it would be brought before TWRC and TVA. If TWRA was willing and got the green light, they would go to TDEC to find mitigation money. I think that is how it worked in Kentucky except the Corps was involved more than TVA. KFWC was all over this idea from what I heard. I wonder if you could tap into the source of a completed dam for the needed flow? I've been told they did that at Flaming Gorge, UT and maybe Tims Ford, TN.

Byron
Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 AM

The concept has been around a while. Thirty plus years ago I proposed that TVA consider a spawning channel/catch and release stream at the Norris dam reservation when the working group was drafting the Alternatives to Tellico dam economic study ; without re-reading the report, i'm not sure it made it into the final report. Idea was to use some of the minimal outflow from the dam and create a serpentine stream/"perfect gravel spawning bed " through the walnut orchard area. At that time in the it was (and maybe still is) viewed as sort of a wild idea in the minds of the TVA engineers who said too expensive, waste of hydro water, and the usual arguments. The biologists said at the time that the spawning area (even if built on a large scale) could not replace the hatchery supplement fish in order to maintain the volume of fish that the river can support. The idea of a stream -spawning area could be applied to any Corps or TVA dam where the downstream areas below the dams is government owned.

The biologist who manages all the trout fisheries in the state of Ky told me yesterday that the working group for the Hatchery Creek met on monday for an extended session and the plan is moving forward, but still has a lot of design issues to work out. Example:The new portions of the stream at wolfe creek are being built through what is basically a dirt field, and stabilizing banks and controlling erosion and water clarity is a huge issue; rock and gravel will be imported and used but they want the place to appear natural…tough balancing act with limited funds.