Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing Around the World

Old 04-12-2014, 10:58 AM

Default New Zealand

I may have an opportunity to do a dream trip in early fall to New Zealand to go fishing. I was wondering if anyone on here has had any experience way over there and if so where to start looking for information on the fishing there. Any and all help will be more than appreciated. Will be getting my first Smokies fix next week...
Old 04-12-2014, 11:08 AM

I haven't been, and most certainly will never make it, but here's a video to whet your appetite.
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-oh-my-god-a-fly-fishing-nightmare/

steve
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM

I've been to New Zealand (north island), but it was before I took up fly fishing. It's a tremendously beautiful place! I highly recommend doing one of the Waitomo cave tours. They are a bit expensive, but worth every penny. Also, I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten at Tony Lord Nelson's in Auckland. Good luck!
Old 05-06-2014, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly View Post
I haven't been, and most certainly will never make it, but here's a video to whet your appetite.
http://www.orvis.com/news/fly-fishing/video-oh-my-god-a-fly-fishing-nightmare/

steve
Well that is it! I am moving to New Zealand...
Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 AM

OK...the trip is on. My fishing buddy has just made our reservations for 5 nights and four days of guided fishing on the Owen River on the South Island the last week of October. This is a brown trout fishery where the fish run 3-6 lbs and is mostly sight fishing. By going through a travel agent we saved 20% off the standard rate....this is enough of a savings to allow us to do a helicopter trip into the back country to fish one day....should be interesting.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Take a bunch of mouse patterns!
http://sportfishin.asia/fishing-tale...ng-video-clip/
Old 05-14-2014, 06:41 PM

Default New Zealand

I had the privilege of fishing the rugged terrain of the North Island. Much like you I was invited and wondered if I should or could make it. After asking for opinions on this message board without many replies, I decided to go.
Without the benefit of guides (my hosts were too tight) i inquired of locals including the Maoris natives. Dry flies were never successful but three nymphs separated by 8 inches on a 8-10 foot leader produced many outstanding trout. You will be forever amazed at the beauty of the streams and the size and beauty of the trout. And their summer is the dead of our winter. It's is nice to fish pristine waters in an environment without predators -no snakes, poison insects, spiders, vicious mammals, etc.
Enjoy!!
I watch for your report.
Pedipop1