Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-28-2008, 11:57 AM

Default can I ask about backpacking here?

I got a Christian brother who wants to go backpacking this summer. He's pretty serious about it. I'm pretty serious about flyfishing. and the third guy is just going for the fellowship. We aren't triathletes or anything, but we're all still "fit" enough to want to get away. Can you guys send some info. my way on suggestions within the park. Where we can fish while in the backcountry.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM

That really depends on what type of stream you would like to fish as well as how long of a hike you are willing to make. Maybe be a little less vague and i'll send you some suggestions. There are just so many that it's hard to recommend one not knowing any information about what you want or are looking for.

Craig
Old 02-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Default oops sorry!

you're right, that was too vague. I had to run, so I cut it short!

The leader would like a few days (3?) in the middle of nowhere. Talked of setting up a basecamp and then we could branch out from there and fish, hike, explore. I personally loved fishing Tremont stream, so that is the kinda stream I had in mind. We just talked about this with each other yesterday. He mentioned KY somewhere, but I wasn't sure of fishing/hiking in KY anywhere. (I know there is, but...) I love the smokies and really enjoy fishing there. He has never went flyfishing, so I'd have to guide them, and I ain't that good yet?!

Less vague?
Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

kentucky has these combined at big south fork....and kayaking, biking, hiking, fishing (non-trout basically), camping...
in the park, 3 days up eagle creek will probably cure you...it's pretty much "the area less traveled" and if your friend is really adventurous let him tackle jenkins ridge trail. in my opinion, it's the toughest trail, up and down, in the park
Old 02-28-2008, 06:34 PM

My personal pick would be campsite 24 on Rough Creek above Elkmont...it is a 4.2 hike up the Little River Trail...good place to set up a base camp...can hike and fish above there and there is even another campsite a little over a mile further up....you can go back down the trail and up Fish Camp Prong....there is even a loop up Rough Creek and back around....nice camp site on the water....check out one of the online trail maps you can access on the Park's website.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM

I, too, was going to suggest campsite 24 if you want to stay on the tn side. If you want to venture over to nc, there are many places to go. I personally like the nc side a little better, but that's just me. Although i haven't done it yet (i'm planning on doing it a couple times this year), you can hike down from clingman's dome to several streams like forney, noland, and deep. I think those would be a great hiking/fishing trips. Like i said, i plan on doing it several times this year so i'll make sure and post reports.

Craig
Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM

If your friends would like a trip that's more "view" oriented and less fishing oriented (but with fishing possibilities), I strongly reccomend the following trip:

Out of Big Creek CG: Hike the Big Creek Trail 5 miles to Walnut Bottoms, #37 (can fish Big Creek along the way and at the camp), next morning fish and hike your way up Shallow Fork 4 miles (this is a pretty steep pull) to the Mt Sterling Ridge Trail and head north 1.5 miles to the Mount Sterling site (#37). This is one of the highest backcountry sites in the Park, you'll be over 5,000 ft up in the Spruce/Fir forest and there's a fire tower at the site that you can climb to watch sunrise/sunset. Absolutely Amazing. Third morning, hike 6 miles down Baxter Creek to your car. This is a challenging trip with over 4,000 ft of climbing on the first 2 days, but I think it's the most scenic and 3 night loop in the park.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:55 PM

Campsite 24 is a good choice for fishing. I went up there last summer in the beginning of July. The fishing is good up there, but dont expect solitude. When I first got the campsite i got my rod ready and walked down the river to wet my fly. I fished for a few minutes and got no action so I started moving upstream and saw there was already a guy fishing up there, and then I looked downstream and saw another guy fishing behind me. I dont know how i didnt see them (guess the camo thing is catching on). I expected after hiking for 5 miles to have a little solitude, but i guess you have to make reservations for that campsite for a reason. I did catch a beautiful 8 inch brook trout close to camp along with several rainbows.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:34 AM

Timing has a lot to do with this factor....during the week is always a better time than the weekend.....above 24 the river splits into three forks...once you get into one of these you will probably be by yourself since there are no trails following these tribs....you can also hike up Fish Camp Prong to the forks of Goshen....all good fishing