Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-07-2008, 11:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

You didn't say when you were planning this trip. You might want to consider Lynn Camp Prong at the top of the Middle Prong. Easy trail, interesting history with some hidden surprises, a few pretty nice waterfalls and some really nice Brookie water. Depending on your interests and intents, you may want to: 1) participate in the harvest schedule, or 2) avoid it altogether.

Gerry
Old 03-07-2008, 01:36 PM

Well, my wife and sister will be interested in the Harvest Festival, but the guys are interested in Trout. We will probably do both. I was just trying to find some nice day hikes that would include a little Trout fishing. I'm not really a brookie fan, but wouldn't mind catching a few. I really want to bag a nice 15 inch brown, but I won't be upseet if I don't. I'm guessing middle prong of the little river would be best for that, from what I've read on here...That or Abram's.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:47 PM

Oh...The time...I'll be in townsend on Thursday night and fishing on Friday morning. Travelling from Nashville (Thank God I get a week out of this great big festering neon distraction of stinch, filth, crackheads and gang bangers lol).
Old 03-07-2008, 03:24 PM

Your best bet for a large brown will be in the Little River, probably above Metcalf Bottoms. But there is a reason that these wild browns grow above 10-12"...they're very elusive. 15"+ Browns do exist and are caught from time to time, but usually by folks that have been stalking them for awhile. If you are coming to try and catch a big brown, you might be disappointed.

On the other hand, if you fish on the LR above Elkmont, or as Gerry suggested on Lynn Camp Prong, you can combine a nice (not too strenuous) hike with some really good wild trout fishing (smaller but more plentiful and feistier than large stockers).

If you want a more strenuous hike and fish expedition, you could travel up the Chimney Tops trail to the 3rd or 4th bridge and fish Road Prong and let the women-folk hike up to the top of the Chimney Tops. It'll be more work, but the effort could pay greater dividends, for both groups (Brookies and better views), depending on the time of year you are heading over...
Old 03-07-2008, 04:59 PM

Thanks for the info. I will be truly lucky to get a big brown, but that's what I'm shoting for. I'm going to print this thread and go over it with the wife. Thaks again.

BRF