Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing Around the World

Old 08-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Fly Fishing in the UK

Has anyone here fished the freestone rivers of Scotland or Wales? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 06:40 PM

I've never had the pleasure, but from what I've read, there are some fish to be caught over there. Not any public land to speak of, but as long as you've bought a package with a guide etc, you should be o.k.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:53 PM

Have not fished the UK (Scotland and Wales) but have fished Ireland. It was a great experience with plenty of fish in the clear water streams and the brackish water.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:27 PM

Did you fish for trout or Atlantic Salmon? What time of the year did you go?

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 08:57 AM

Fished for trout inland around Cork (Blarney Castle to be exact, the River Martin) and Kilkenny. Fished for salmon in County Galway on the west coast. Was there in July. The early morning temperatures were in the 40's but by noon, it was in the 70's. Irish weather is extremely unpredictable. Most water is on private land so you will have to make arrangements with a guide who has a licensed access to the waters to fish those. Very little water is open to the public but it is there.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
What time of the year did you go?
I don't know UK, but in Ireland most everything is closed to fishing from October - April, give or take. It came as a shock to me when I was planning a winter trip in conjunction with my wife taking a business trip. I would suggest that you carefully check the seasons if you are planning a trip before next spring.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the tips.

troutman, did you get a guide when you went? if so, how did you locate one?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:16 PM

Try this one:
Kilcoleman Fishery, Enniskeane, Co.Cork, S.Ireland
Email Contact: gamefishing@eircom.net
Telephone: 00353(0)2347279

Or go to the website www.flyfishingireland.com
Old 08-28-2008, 02:59 PM

I fished in May of 2004 with Andrew Ryan, at the flyfishingireland site kytroutman linked to. He's got leases on some beautiful water, populated with gorgeous native browns. The fishing was actually a little on the slow side - the spring hatches hadn't really kicked in yet - but the weather was great, and the trip was a real treat.

From there we went to the Blackwater Lodge for Atlantic Salmon on the Blackwater River. (Didn't catch any.) The proprietors are Ian and Glenda Powell. We enjoyed having Ian as our guide, but one of the highlights was a speycasting lesson from Glenda the afternoon we got there. Not that she succeeded at turning me into a speycaster, but she's such a terrific caster herself that it's just fun to watch what she can do with a rod.

http://www.ireland-salmon-fishing.net/

-Milton
Old 08-28-2008, 05:18 PM

The fishing season in Ireland runs from March 1st to October 1st with the peak months of June-August, which is totally dependent on the weather and hatches. There is also a website for Kilcoleman's which is www.fishing-ireland.com. Most of the guides (gillies) have arrangements with a lot of the bed and breakfasts (B&Bs) for rooms/meals while you fish in the licensed streams.