Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 03-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Default Camera Recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting a new camera. I would love to get a nice SLR. I would love to use it when i'm fishing to take some better quality pics of fish but also of my surroundings (mountains, river, etc.) I realize SLRs for the most part are pretty big so that might be a problem but I really want something that's durable. Any suggestions? Someone suggested a Rebel. Any information would be a great help!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:52 PM

I have a Canon Rebel SLR and a digital SLR. They are both great cameras, but certainly the digital is easier when it comes to printing out pictures. I also like that "instant gratification" of being able to look at the shot on the screen. I usually have this with me when we travel(for scenics and such), but I take a small Sony cybershot into the stream with me.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:58 PM

Default Canon Rebels

Youngbuck1,

When you go to get a camera you have to ask what you want to do with it. If you mainly need it to record your catch and take pics of pretty places then a point and shoot might be the way to go. They are smaller, easier to carry, and you can even get ones that are waterproof.
A SLR camera is going to give you tons more control over the photos and the ability to have different lenses. The only drawbacks are, price (more expensive) and size. You definitely have to be more careful not to fall in when you are carrying an SLR. Unless you get the really pricey pro models they aren't going to fair well by being dunked.

If you decide to go with a SLR, I've had great success with the Canon Rebel bodies. I've got several 35mm bodies and now have a Rebel Xti digital. The digital has 10.1 mega pixels which will do everything you could want. I've had almost no problems with my Canons. If you get an outfit I would get the Canon brand lenses.

Canon is about to release a new model of Rebel, the Xsi. It is going to be over 12 mega pixels but it is also supposed to be around $800. What I'm hoping is that this is going to cause a price cut on the older Xti so I can get a 2nd body.

Just my thoughts. Think about what you want to do with the camera and if convenience or features are more important.

Daniel
Old 03-05-2008, 01:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

There's a really nice Fuji digital at the bottom of the Little River somewhere... just make sure, unlike me, you don't get too excited and not replace it securely! But, I really liked taking my Fuji FinePix Z100, it was slim, had a nice view screen, and was 8 mp. Picked it up at Walmart and was pretty inexpensive. Wish I still had it. Think I may pick up another one soon.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Default camera

I have a digital slr a nikon d100 that I would never even think about taking it fishing with me . I just bought a olympus 790sw that is 7.1 mp and waterproof. I can prove the fact that it is waterproof after I gave it a formal baptism in the clinch Saturday. The cameral was unhurt but the cell phone was a diffrent story. The picture of UofMontanaAlum's brown was taken with the olympus before the dunking and all pictures were fine. awsome little camera for the money. I would recomend it in a heart beat.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 PM

If you're wanting a DSLR, I'll second the Rebel Xti... I got one last summer and have enjoyed using it immensely. It always goes with me on hikes and any other outdoor excursion but you won't find it with me on the stream. I believe you can buy a waterproof housing for it if you really wanted to take it with you on the stream but it is quite expensive.

If you're just wanting a good fishing camera to document your catch, I've been using a Pentax Optio W30 for awhile and it has worked great...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

Both myself and my fishing buddy (Drag Line, posted above) just picked up Olympus Stylus 790 SW. The camera is waterproof up to 10 feet, shock-proof up to five, will handle temperatures down to -10degrees and its tiny.

Imagine how you would feel if you dropped at $500 camera body and $500 lens into the river. No thanks.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Think small

I concur with the Pentax Optio W30. I use mine for work as a consulting ecologist in the Florida wetlands. It is durable and takes great pics. It does not allow manual exposure settings but in most situations the different settings will get the job done well. Believe me you want a small camera to take a picture while controling the fish and protecting that expensive rod and reel you have saved up for.

An SLR is too bulky and heavy not to mention not waterproof without more cash and making it heavier and bulkier. I won't send this thread into a discussion about Nikon vs Cannon but both are excellent. I use a Nikon D100 and an F5 (film). Would like faster frames per second on the digital but to do so brings the cost way up. Some of the newer Nikons (D40) are cheaper and look promising (Look in the recent Outdoor Photographer magazine for a comparison of features. I think consumer reports has a recent article too).

And you thought deciding on a fly rod and reel was tough!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

remember, i sunk a sony alpha (10.2 mp) last summer.....it is a solid camera.....dried out and still shooting great ..... so, you get what ya pay for.....and this camera has come way down retail and is a bargain....especially if ya already have minolta af lenses
Old 03-06-2008, 03:29 PM

I picked up the Olympus 790SW last fall (October I think) and it has become my favorite camera. I have a much more expensive and feature rich digital (Cannon) and have hardly used it since I got the Olympus. It's handy, waterproof, the photos are sharp and of high quality.

It isn't an SLR and cannot compete with the clarity and quality glass one can get with SLR cameras but bang for the buck, my little Olympus is a fine choice.

Jeff