Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 PM

Done as well. Gotta make sure the word gets out about this one. Time to make some phone calls to everyone that I know.

Thanks for the heads up Troutman and lets make sure this one never, ever gets passed.

Mike McGuffin
Old 03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Just giving this a bump so folks will see it. For your convenience, here's that link again for your state reps. Get those emails going. Defeat House Bill 2856 that seeks to eliminate TWRA!

Paula
Old 03-11-2008, 11:09 AM

Since I am now a Tennessee landowner, I have a bit of a voice in this. If I didn't know any better, I would swear this was a bill crafted in Baton Rouge, circa 1975 (Edwin Edwards administration), not Nashville. I guess every place has its share of stupid politicians. The money grab is the obvious point in all this - put it in the general fund, where it goes into a bottomless pit and can be spent on anything.

I don't know what the rules are in Tennessee concerning lobbying, but I hope the sportsman's groups have some good ones, and they can kill this in committee.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:15 AM

Any information on the 14 co-sponsors? A deluge of emails to each from all sportsman (you don't have to be a Tennessee resident since your license fees contribute to TWRA's welfare) will make many re-think their sponsorship to such an idioitic piece of legislation.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Administrator

I'll find out and post the names of all of the sponsors.

Paula
Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM

Paula, I sent you an email.
I also shot an email to my local legislator in Sevier co. yesterday. I haven't heard back yet.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Sent my email to one Mr. Montgomery of Sevier Co. I can't believe that someone would even think about doing this!

Craig
Old 03-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks, Gary. I actually found that link last night - I thought I had read the sponsors somewhere. Gary was pointing me to the conversation taking place on Mike Anderson's board. The link is here.

The sponsors are: Jones, Borchert, Brooks H, Coleman, Johnson C, Litz, Lundberg, Niceley, Pinion, Pruitt, Shepard, Sontany, Tidwell,
West, and Yokley.

Email away, folks. Again, here is the link to State Reps emails.
Reference HB 2856.

Paula
Old 03-11-2008, 03:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

I emailed the sports editor at the Knoxville Sentinel, Bob Hodge, and he said he wrote on this about two weeks ago but says he is planning another piece since it seems to be getting some press elsewhere. Hopefully more people will read his column this time, I know I missed it. From all appearances Mr. Hodge is a big supporter of TWRA ...
Old 03-11-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijsouth View Post
...I don't know what the rules are in Tennessee concerning lobbying, but I hope the sportsman's groups have some good ones, and they can kill this in committee.
Not that there shouldn't be any cause for concern, but I had a breif exchange with Rep Gary Moore who, said he was opposed HB 2856 and added that, "... Jones has not even put this bill on notice to be heard in committee yet."

As I understand the process, only a small percentage of those Bills introduced into committee ever make it out....

Let's make sure this one doesn't survive