Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 PM

Default Rod Advice

I am looking to purchase a new "all around rod". Something that would be suitable for the SE tailwaters and also taking out west to some of the larger rivers. I have decided on a 9 foot multi piece (probably 4 piece) but I cant decide between a 5 or 6 weight. 6 weight may be better in the wind. I have an 8' 4 wt for Smokies fishing. By the way I am something of a novice caster hence the heavier weight for the wind. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

Default 5 Weight

Unless you really like to fish streamers, I would vote for the 5 weight. In my opinion a 5wt is a more versatile rod, especially for SE tailwaters. Many of our tailwaters can present "technical" fishing, small flies with gentle presentations. I personally fish an 8 1/2 5wt as my go to fly rod. There are a lot of days on the South Holston that I would gladly trade it for a 4wt. But, the only time I would trade it for a 6wt is throwing steamers. Just my 2 cents. 9' 4-piece definitely the way to go.
Mike
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 PM

Default 5wt

Gator, I agree with MtnMike. The 5wt's made today have plenty of backbone and versatility to handle the vast majority of your fishing. The 5wt will also be fine for most of your tailwater and Western fishing. And more comfortable to cast. 6wt's are great for bass, streamers, and cowbell size nymph rigs.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM

Yep, i like throwing a double bunny with a nymph & shot on a 5 weight on western streams
I still think that if i had to have 1 all around rod, it would be a 6 weight, if you can cast, it will lay on the water with ease, not as soft as a 4 or 5 weight for sure, you can still make some great presentations with it & even underline to a 5 weight if needed or overline to a 7 with some of the rods being built today.
I hate to disagree with you fellars, you've made some great points, but, only one rod, i'd have to with a 6 weight.
Thank goodness my wife pretends to understand i need more than one.

Grumpy
Old 03-11-2008, 12:33 PM

Normally, I would have said go with the 5wt. However, you already have a 4wt that you like and you mentioned you're a novice caster.

I'm pretty much a novice as well. I just cannot tell enough difference between a 4 and a 5 for it to really make a difference. "Skipping a number" I can tell the difference.

My rods are 3wt, 5wt and 7wt. (a couple different 5 wts.). Mainly it is because my first rod was a 5wt. I wanted a lighter rod and went with a 3wt. I wanted a heaver rod to toss bigger streamers and poppers/bass bugs in the ponds and lakes so I went with a 7wt.

No real method to the madness other than I'm not a good enough caster to be able to tell a significant difference between a 4 and a 5 or a 5 and a 6, but I sure can feel the difference between a 4 and a 6.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 03-11-2008, 08:08 PM

For the reasons mentioned above, I will also vote for the 6 weight, especially since you have a 4 weight. I would also consider going to a 9 1/2 foot. As time goes on, I am more and more inclined to use a longer rod. Yes, the short rods are cute, but I can't think of any advantage to a shorter rod on Western streams or tailwaters. In fact I use a 9 footer in the Smokies except for the really, really tight streams. As small and smaller than Jakes Creek. Of course, if I followed my own advice, I would probably own less than the 20 or so rods I have!!!

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 PM

Default rod advice

6 wt..........especially some of the newer models. They are so light weight that they will feel like you 4wt.

stickbait
Old 03-15-2008, 02:36 AM

I think it will depend alot on the specific rod. you don't really want a broomstick 6wt. as your all around rod. at least I wouldn't. However, as stated, alot of the higher end, new 6 wts are extremely light and have a great feel.

I have a T&T fast action 6wt. that is an absolute cannon. I rarely use it, as it usually feels a little overkill in most situations. My 5wt. has proved to be the best option for me. Also, I'm not sure why, but I can throw streamers much better w/ my 5wt than the 6wt.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:07 AM

Default rod advice

Trevor makes a good point. A good med-fast action 6wt is about prime for a good all arounder. The broomsticks in the heavier wt rods can be tiring after a long day on the river. A friend of mine just fished the Big Horn last week and he told me that he had never fished in wind like that. I experienced the same thing on the Madison a few yrs ago. Out west usually means more wind for some reason. I use to have a T&T 6wt that would cast a dry as well as my five weight. The type of rod can definately make a difference. I played with a Helios in a 6wt the other day. Man that thing is light. The Winston BxII is very light as well. I going to try and find one of the Scott G2's in a 8'8" 6wt and see what it's like. I hear good things about them, however, it may be to soft for my liking. Good luck on you search and let us know what you get. There are some fantastic rods out there right now.

Stickbait
Old 03-15-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Scott G2's in a 8'8" 6wt and see what it's like. I hear good things about them, however, it may be to soft for my liking.
You do owe it to yourself to give the G2 a try. I have on in 9' 5wt and it's my favorite rod. It is soft at the tip, but it will toss nymphs and woolie buggers just fine too. It's one sweet dry fly rod. Since I got it, it's pretty much the only rod I fish. I still use my Sage SLT 3wt on the smaller streams and my Redington RS3 7wt for tossing bass bugs and a couple other St. Croix rods I have, but the Scott is by far my favorite.

Last fall, I was considering buying another Scott G2 in either 4 or 6 wt. and Paula said they can order them even though it's not in the catalog. It may be worth talking with LRO to see if they can get one for you.

Jeff