Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-11-2008, 12:28 AM

Default Looking for raft, boat, and kayak advice

This summer I'm going to purchase some sort of watercraft for sure I've decided.
Here are my applications:
Lake coves, small lakes (indian boundary type waters), rivers like the little river, tailwaters (soho and watauga mainly, perhaps holston), and small ponds.

I'm looking for something to row/paddle more than I am something with a motor. Inflatable would be nice considering the advantages on travelling that type of craft would provide. Also since I'm living in a dorm room and have to park my car in a public parking lot every night, I'd rather have something I can securely lock in my car. Inflatable isn't a must though. On rivers, I plan on pulling to the bank and wade fishing, but on ponds and lakes, I'd like to be able to fish easily from the boat. My budget is around $500, not really wanting to go much higher than that.

Right now im looking either an inflatable kayak or inflatable raft/two person boat.

I'm concerned about how well I can fish from the kayak on ponds and lakes compared to a boat where I'd have more room to manuever. In the boat, I'd like to be able to lay down a piece of ply wood on the bottom to make it possible to stand and fish in. My concern with the boat, and actually both is how well they can run the tailwaters. I'd most likely run then without a generation since I plan on wading in most spots. Another concern I have with both being inflatable is how they hold up to rocky bottoms on the rivers, and the manueverability of the raft on rivers such as the little river.

An inflatable pontoon is also an option.

Does anyone have any reviews they can offer, or any information they can give about fly fishing with a boat?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 03-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Default pontoon review

Ben,
we have 3 trout unlimited colorado pontoon boats that we have had for about 2 years now. I have fished mine on ponds and lake coves, and mostly use them on tailwaters. they have plenty of storage space and have taken a beating, we went down a lot of rapids on the French Broad last summer in them just to see what would happen, and we had a blast. They went over rocks, got hung up in rapids, and I even turned mine over. They held up great. When we arent fly fishing from them, we are floating the rivers with coolers on the cargo racks. they work great for what you are talking about doing. the big drawback for me is getting them to drift in a relatively straight line. But I have learned to run a short rope off of the back with a length of chain attached to it, and that helps out a lot. they are a great boat if you ask me, it just depends on the body of water you are on as to how much paddling you will be doing. we have floated the caney fork with a generator running, and did fine, it was nice not to paddle too much. speaking of paddling, if you get a pontoon, do not get oars shorter than 7 feet, it makes a dramatic difference in how much effort is needed to paddle. They are great with a trolling motor too. at most places they retail for between 350 to 500 dollars, but we found ours at costco.com for $299. Ok, thats much more than I thought I would type, but just wanted to share that information, good luck.

Maglite
Old 03-11-2008, 07:50 AM

Thanks maglite, I appreciate all the info. I'll look at costco, and see what they have up now.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:57 AM

I'll second the toon under the conditions you've described.

Grumpy
Old 03-11-2008, 09:28 AM

Maglite, they still have a couple toons on costco, one being the trout unlimited one you mentioned. Pretty sweet looking rig. I'm getting excited paddling around some water with one of these. There are also a few on ebay I've looked as well.

I'm still up for suggestions, but now I'm leaning towards a pontoon.

ben
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

milligan,

From your description, a pontoon boat would be the way to go. I have a Bucks Bronco and love it. Very stable fishing platform.

Bill
Old 03-11-2008, 11:58 AM

well it looks like a consensus on the pontoon. I'm pretty excited about it. One question, can you stand in a pontoon boat? it seems like some I've looked at have the ability to be stood in and some don't. I guess its not that big of deal since you're sitting fairly high out of the water anyway and casting shouldn't be very hard from the sitting position. But when I'm in a boat bass/crappie/bluegill fishing on still water, I like to stand and fish.

ben
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM

I have a 9 foot pontoon and love it. Couldn't recommend it more.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 PM

Ben

Several toon companies have a standup model, normally 9' or longer, problem is, they're EXPENSIVE
Your best bet with your budget is to find a used one or someone to rig you a casting platform & casting brace, you'll need a 9' or longer to be able to balance it.

Grumpy
Old 03-11-2008, 11:36 PM

Send a message via MSN to UofMontanaAlum

I'll make you a good deal on an 8' WaterSkeeter. Less than half of what you posted you are looking to spend.