Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 03-13-2008, 11:42 AM

Post What Happens to the Hook

For a long time I have seen where a hook that has been swallowed real deep should be left in the fish. Just clip the tippet and release the fish. The theory being that the hook will rust in a few days and the fish will spit it out without serious injury.
Does anyone on the board have experience/data which verifies that the hook will rust and come out in a few days?
Old 03-13-2008, 04:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

well, don't know about in a fish, but i left a broken fly box in the back of the jeep, it rained really hard, and a week later most of the hooks were rusted or rusted away......tossed the whole mess....all because i was forgetful. lost about 50 nymphs since it was my nymph box.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Rust or Stress

The release mortality survey stated that the stress the fish goes through trtreving the hook will significantly increase survivability. Ive seen bait hooks on the edge of passing out the other end of a drum. The bunghole looked sore but it was no wear near the damage forced retreval of a fouled hook. Sometimes the stress a fish goes through fighting the line as you reel in will kill the fish if the water is warm or low in oxygen.
This survey may have initially been started with a university in Michigan (I cant remember those details), but TWRA biologist agree with it. Perhaps TRWA's web site can be searched for release mortaily information. I have even cut the hook on a snapping turtle I caught bait fishing, I was confident the wound get sore enough to eject the hook.
It might hurt the fish, but it has high possibilities of surviving to spawn again. The allows these days are not only stronger for sharper points but these allows are also retaining sharpness through corrosion resistance.