Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 AM

Default fishing with strangers

I'll be heading down this way over my spring break. I should say hopefully. If we come, we'll have a brand new baby in tow. But hopefully I and momma will get to go fishing while were there. Let me ask you guys on fishing with strangers. I learned during duck season up here that it's better to meet and hunt with the other guy if they're friendly to it. Do you guys do your fishin that way? I mean I hear a lot of people are going to be around. Is it an ok thing to walk up to someone and chat a bit and then fish together, or is that not a good thing?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:36 AM

...depends if they're catching fish.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:59 AM

I have hooked up with a fellow board member who fished the same area I enjoyed and had a great day....learned a few things and got some new perspectives on some old water. I have never had a problem with sharing info or even flies with anyone I have met on the waters I fish...I have never had anyone ask to join me in all the years I have been fishing....imagine this is a personal matter and I would probably wait for an invitation.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 AM

I agree with Rog 1, only fish with someone by invitation. If you're wanting to meet up with some new people, you might put out a request for a fishing buddy here on the message board. I've done that a few times and met some good fishing buddies that way. There's probably someone around willing to meet up and show you some water...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-14-2008, 11:30 AM

If a stranger walked up to me while I was fishing I'd be more than happy to talk to the guy, maybe trade some flies, tell him what's biting, or more likely what their not biting on, etc. But I'd be pretty nervous if he wanted to actually follow me and fish with me. Sad to say, but in this day of age you never know what someone is going to do or what their motives are.

PA is correct though. Asking to meet up with someone from the board is perfectly fine.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

I agree with the previous posts. I have met up with several people through this board and all those experiences have been great. Unfortunately I to would be a little cautious if approached by someone wanting to follow me around the woods fishing. Its sad that our society has come to this, but its reality. I have only fished with a stranger one time, and it turned out fine. I wasn't in the GMSNP, I was in a relatively populated area and had my 120 lb great pyrenees with me. To some extent my dog probably gave me a false sense of security. I know she would have attempted to protect me, but she wouldn't have stopped a crazy person if they were determined to do something. Had I been alone that day I probably would have pointed him in the direction of some good water, offered a few flies and tried to politely move on.

I would highly recommend asking around on this board if you want a partner, lots of good people and good fishermen willing to help.

Matt
Old 03-14-2008, 02:00 PM

I ain't crazy! just a little goofy!
I hear what you're saying everybody. I guess I never thought of being out in the middle of nowhere while flyfishing. I guess while I was hunting I had my gun in case of ....you know.... But I don't think a flyrod offers much personal protection!
Is it possible for two people (strangers) to fish together on these rivers?

would you say best bet is to introduce, swap talk, and move on?
what distance is a good, proper, mannerly and distance between fishers?
Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM

There is nothing more upsetting than to have someone walk into the river in front of you, knowing that you are there, and keep fishing. If you can, walk upstream for 20 minutes or so and then start in.....it is very enlightening to walk back over the stretch you just fished and how long it actually takes to fish a mile of water....most of the rivers here will allow you to get ahead of the others without much trouble.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:36 PM

I have found that 90% of the time, the people you encounter on the stream to be very friendly and pretty much of the same ilk as yourself. You already have more in common than most by being fly fishermen/women. With that said. I guess I'm the oddball on this. I'm actually more worried out in public here in K-Town than I ever be in the woods. In town you got to deal with all spectrum's of society, criminals, lunatics, mean spirited etc etc. If someone took all the trouble and effort to get to a stream they are for the most part Ok. It will of course always be exception to the rule.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:44 PM

Where I have been in the park, I don't know how you could.

I found it very difficult to do with my long time fishing buddy, what with lines and rods flying around. We took to "Leap froging" each other. One of us would drop in, the other would wander upstream 50 yards or so and drop in. Fish up to near the upstream guy and leap again.

Round home here, I fish off the bank a lot for Catfish, Sauger and such. I like to have, and like to give space, but several of the spots are just so good they are, by long standing tradition, "shared spots".
Meaning if someone can fit in, they do.

I have met a lot of good folks this way and learned much from them. Often fishing with them all day and never exchanging names, yet running across them several times a season and doing it again. Share the beer, share the bait/lures, sometimes share the fish. And of course, share the Lies, uh, I mean Stories.

I have yet to have any real problems, though I have been uncomfortable a time or two when out numbered by drunk teenagers while fishing by myself after dark.