Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-18-2008, 08:20 AM

Thanks again to everyone for your kind words and sharing your experiences. It will be difficult to get over, but you guys helped tremendously.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:23 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss, that's why i always have two owners(dogs), i've lost several retrievers over the years to old age, thefts & one car, the guy never stopped & i was in the yard. I can't blame him for hitting the dog, it ran across the road, i can blame him for not being man enough to stop & say i'm sorry.
For the ones that stole my two Chesapeke's, i hope they turned ino Cujo & ate them alive.
It's a tough loss, a trip to the dog pound or rescue groups can cure that, we were meant to be owned by the 4 legged creatures, we just think we own them, i couldn't imagine life w/o a dog in it, go ahead start looking for your next owner.

Grumpy
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM

Grumpy,

Thanks, I know what you mean about them owning us. I have two males left, but they just aren't the same. At least that's how I feel right now. She will be hard to get over because she was just so sweet and man that dog loved me. I guess we did the right thing with all of the problems she was having.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:49 AM

BRF...Smoky camped with us at Elkmont in the campground...dogs are OK in the campground and on the roads....even read where they are ok on the LR trail out of Gatlinburg....a couple of times she slipped her leash accidentally and got to swim around Metcalf Bottoms....watching her try to grab stuff off the bottom was a hoot....she also got several trips up there to play in the snow which was a riot to see how a Florida dog reacted to the white stuff...hard to imagine living now without a four legged "child" around....don't ever stop retelling all the good times to anyone who will listen....
Old 03-18-2008, 08:52 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to scflyfisher

Dwayne,

My house is the same way. We still have two left after we put Bela down in December. I like the other two and they like me. However, they love my wife . Bela treated me like your dog treated you. She liked other people, but she lived for me. There was a level of devotion to me that can't be explained to others. I'm guessing you know exactly what I'm talking about.

My biggest temptation was to hurry and get another one after I put her down. It will be tough the next time I get a dog like her, b/c my tendency will be to compare it to Bela and expect the same experience I had with Bela. Someday I will have another one, but I its going to be a while before I'm ready to get attached to a dog the way I was with Bela.

I'm good friends with my vet, and the best thing he said to me was : " whats the point in having them if your not gonna love them and get attached to them?" It's always going to be like this when they die. If I would have known how things would end 5 years ago when I got Bela, it wouldn't have stopped me from getting her. The 5 years I had her was worth much more than the heartache.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 AM

Talking LOL @ Grumpy!!!

You said it Grumpy!
My wife and I are just lucky that our Westie allows us to live with her!

AKC lists Westies as having "No Small amount of self esteem" in the breed standard...she has no idea that she isn't a 110# Bull Mastiff.

Nothing quite like waking up in her bed with that tiny little garbage chute winking at you because sometime during the night she decided that my cheek is the best place to park the backside

Always remember the good times BlueRaider...stinky as they may be
Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Thanks guys, I love hearing people with similar experiences and all the stories. I realize that I had a good run with her and it is rare that I bond with a dog like I did that one. The funny things is, when I got her, I just wanted a dog to put in my back yard to keep an eye on things. The next thing I know, she's in the house, sleeping in my bed. What a sweetie. It still bothers me a bit that it was mostly a financial decision, but the vet was talking monthly meds in the range of $100-$300 and I just couldn't do it. Of course I get the stinkin Orvis Pet Catalog in the mail as soon as we get back and it has yellow lab pups all through the darn thing...It didn't help.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Default take heart BRF

Think about the financial decision this way. If you could have gotten her back to 100% no amount would have been too much. And I'm sure you would think that way. Question is would the continuing medication have gotten her back to 100%? Probably not.

Sorry for the cliche' but those decisions really are about a "quality of life".
Old 03-19-2008, 04:05 PM

So sorry to hear that BRF. My thoughts are with you.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:31 PM

My heart felt sorrow goes out to you!

I found 2 strays wondering together about 6 years ago. I had to put Sam (dalmation border collie mix) down about a year ago and it broke my heart. Luckily I still have Pete (beagle mix.) He helped keep me sane. I dread the day Pete has to leave.