Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2008, 08:57 AM

I have a 7'6" 3wt TFO Pro that I really enjoy. However, I think an 8' or 8'6" 3wt may be a bit more versatile in the park. While the shorter rod will help keep you out of the overhanging stuff, I would have really liked to have some extra length to keep the fly line off the water and out of conflicting currents.

I have a cheap Scientific Anglers reel ($29?). For the park, I can't imagine a reel is used for anything other than holding line. If you are fishing on bigger waters, than you really need to think about reels...
Old 03-19-2008, 09:41 AM

Guys, thanks for the advice. I think I may be o.k. with this rod after all. It may be a bit heavy being a 6wt, but I don't think it is so much that I can't use it in the park according to what I've read here. Besides, it will be great for use on rivers as well.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

My choices have been pretty much determined by the type of fishing I intend to do. I've got an 8' 3 wt. (used with either a 3wt FWF or overlined with RIO's new Nymph line), and an 8'6" TFO 4wt (used with either a 5wt FWF or RIO's Nymph line in a 6wt.)

In the park, if I'm going nymphing, I end up fishing the TFO almost exclusively. I just feel that the St. Croix 3 wt Avid just doesn't have enough backbone to be throwing nymphs around all day... it wears me out and the backcast is less efficient, leading to more bird's nests than I care to Deal with. But it's great for delicate presentation of dries. So I know that if I intend to spend a day throwing nothing but dries, I'll take my little 3wt -- it's just more fun!

Truthfully, though, that TFO has become the workhorse. Probably because I just can't seem to commit to an entire day of either nymphing or dry flies. It may seem silly, but that extra 6" makes a big difference when highsticking.

Gerry
Old 03-19-2008, 03:37 PM

4wt 7 1/2 ft orvis superfine rod and a large arbor Ross cimarron reel. I really do like my current setup.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
4wt 7 1/2 ft orvis superfine rod and a large arbor Ross cimarron reel. I really do like my current setup.
Who wouldn't??

Me?? Jealous??... nah. not one bit.....

Last edited by Gerry Romer; 03-19-2008 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: My spell check broke.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Red face GSMNP Rods

For me, anything under 7 ft and a 4wt are a waste. But then I fish nothing but bamboo rods and silk lines... so what the heck do I know The real shorty rods are so specialized that they will rarely get used unless you live in an unusual area.

My park rods are an 8ft, 5wt and usually a 7ft, 4wt depending on the stream I'm on.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:41 AM

Has anyone picked up the Orvis trout bum 2wt 6ft rod. I was "playing" with it at a fly shop the other day and couldn't get over how light it was. I would love to take it in one of the small headwater streams in the park. I figure 6ft is way to small for most people, but it would be a lot of fun. The big problem is that it costs $475. I just cant dish that out with the way money is these days.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM

I use a 8ft 2wt TFO pro for dries in the park and love it. It is a great brookie rod because you can still high stick pocket water. I have been playing with a 6'3" 3wt medium action for nymphs this week. It is my bluegill rod and I pitch only very small poppers and 12-16 bead head buggers for them. It has been fun on hook ups but can be a bit of work with line control in fast water. During summer it might work better with lower flows but I would stick with a 8+ft 4 or 5 wt for nymphs depending upon your other type of fishing. I went back to one yesterday and caught more fish.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:14 PM

95% of the time I use a 9' 4wt in the mountains, and yes, even on small streams. If it is really small, with overhanging brush, I use a 7' 3wt. I like to use a long rod and keep line off of the water. I also like to high stick nymph, so the longer rod really comes in hand.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-20-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
Has anyone picked up the Orvis trout bum 2wt 6ft rod. I was "playing" with it at a fly shop the other day and couldn't get over how light it was. I would love to take it in one of the small headwater streams in the park. I figure 6ft is way to small for most people, but it would be a lot of fun. The big problem is that it costs $475. I just cant dish that out with the way money is these days.
I haven't seen it, but I will look in my catalog. I love looking at Orvis catalogs.