Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-19-2008, 11:42 AM

A couple years ago I switched from a vest to a fishpond lumbar pack and I'll never go back. I also use a lanyard which makes things a lot easier. The pack is perfect - it easily holds everything I need but my favorite thing about it is when I'm not using it, I can slide it around to my back and it's completely out of the way. So when I'm not using it, it's not disturbing my casting motion or anything...
Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 PM

I switched to a fishpond chest/back pack a couple of years back.

The chest pack can be removed for when I'm fishing close to the vehicle. By attaching the backpack, I can carry some extra supplies (like a first aid kit, and extra water) when heading further away.

The problem I've had with a vest was I tended to overload. If it had a spare pocket there had to be something for that pocket. When overloaded it was cumbersome.
With a pack, I've gotten much more streamlined and focused on the things I really need. Everything has its place so I don't spend needless time searching for accessories. It has also slimmed down my fly selection. I find myself carrying a couple boxes of tried and true flies and leaving a lot of others back home.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:00 PM

thanks for the input! I to am a minimalist, or at least i try to be . My wife would beg to differ. I like the point of if you don't have the extra pockets ,you won't use them. I tend to get carried away sometimes. I like all of your lists of the necessities.
Eric
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM

i just went thru my vest taking everything out and putting it in my chest pack for the trip to cataloochee.i was amazed at what i had acummalated over the winter.you are right.if you have a pocket you will put something in it.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM

I second what the guys are saying about the fishopond packs. Granted my old vest could hold alot more if I needed alot more. The pack I have holds everything from my old vest. I will never go back to the vest. I wouldn't speak to a regular fanny pack, but fishpond knows what they're doing and has designed these things to suit a fisherman's needs. This seems to be the trends these days and more brands are entering this market. So if your not sure about the investment there are cheaper options than fishpond. As someone who used to be a vest guy, I can say the lumbar pack has made life easier.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM

I wear a William joseph chest pack. It has everything right there when you need it, but I am getting to the point were I just don't like having things hanging on my shoulder or close to my face. I think I am going to purchase the fishpond waist pack soon. I like the idea of having total freedom from anything on my upper body...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:32 AM

Default Lumbar downside

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
I wear a William joseph chest pack. It has everything right there when you need it, but I am getting to the point were I just don't like having things hanging on my shoulder or close to my face. I think I am going to purchase the fishpond waist pack soon. I like the idea of having total freedom from anything on my upper body...
I think you're headed inthe right direction, WNC. When I used to wear a fishpond lumbar pack - and they really are the best solution IMHO - I would always end up dunking it in a deep hole because it rides well below the top of my waders. The only option is to take it off and sling it over your shoulder when wading deep. Oh, and they are not water tight so a dunking means drenched gear. I still use it if I am a long way from the road/truck.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:34 AM

In summer I use a fishing shirt. I can put a box in one pocket and camera and snack crackers in the other. tippet in the tippet pockets and hang gink and forceps off a pocket flap. Nippers and my Jeep key on a small lanyard tucked inside my shirt. I will attach an empty small filter water bottle to my belt if heading out from the Jeep for a longer distance. I really try to minimize or I spend too much time fiddlin' and not enough fishing.

In winter, I use the chest pockets on my waders and/or rain jacket.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:04 PM

Default Less is better

I usually only carry one box of assorted flies and then tippet, floatant and some hemostats. Other than that I like to take along a small, cheap backpack with a book to read along the stream, a thermos of tea and some cheese and fruit.

Now that I think about it, most of the room is taken up by non-fishing stuff! I like that.....

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM

I got a Fishpond fanny....er.....lumbar pack for Christmas. Unfortunately I have not been able to use it yet. I am going to Knoxville on business in at the end of the month and am planning a run over to Townsend for a day to break it in. It holds all that I need and I think I am really going to like it.