Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Maybe in our part of the world we're all bait fishers at heart with fly rods in our hands.
Charlie,
that is a true pearl of wisdom. I think you may be on to something.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFLY View Post
He says he just doesn't like the "yuppie" attitude of the fly fisherman he has encountered. He believes when he goes into some of the fly shops with me that the people there talk down too him.
Not that it applies to the context of this particular discussion, but "Yuppie" is actually a Socio-economic anagram used to describe Young Urban Professionals. Likewise, a "Dink" describes a working couple with no kids
(i.e. Double Income No Kids)

Just thought I'd throw that in...since I might be defined as a "Yuppie".....OK maybe except for the "young" part.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:51 AM

I have the best equipment, waders, rods/reels, i'm broke, i'm not a yuppie, I CATCH FISH

Grumpy
Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

Does anyone on here have the Simms waders that cost $700? I just want to know what a pair of waders that expensive feel like. lol. I figure I might try on a pair one day just to see...
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 AM

For me, chasing trout with a fly fills the niche in fishing that chasing deer with a bow fills in hunting. They both require study, practice, and patience. They are both sub-cultures of their larger respective sports, and they are both an exercise of form over function.
This is not to say that I turn my nose up at either rifle hunting or other kinds of fishing. I just get a greater deal of personal satisfaction from the form of flyfishing and bowhunting.
So here's my question: Why are bow-hunters cast in a different light than flysfisherman? If it is for actual dollars spent on the sport, after broadheads, scents, tree-stands, clothes, liscenses, ATV, etc., I spend more on bowhunting than on flyfishing. What about waterfowling? Boats, decoys, waders, calls, lights, dogs, dog training, etc. How about deep-sea fishing? I don't even know the equipment you would need for that, but I am sure it costs more than my Orvis 5-wt, or my Browning compound.
Now I'm rambling. But as I haven't come across any pretentious yuppies on this board, I'll assume you forgive me.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm kind of with Brian on this. Fly-fishing just fills a niche for me. If the game warden told me I could shoot deer all year long, I would never get out of a treestand. I also spend way more money on my hunting equipment than I do on my fishing equipment. I do run into a few people with the "better than you" attitude on the stream. However, if you saw my fishing outfit, you'd understand. Cut off camo pants, an old t-shirt that most people wouldn't discrace their rag bin with, and a ball cap that must 15 years old, lets not forget the cheap garage sale looking fly rod.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:38 AM

I'm too new to flyfishing to have experienced anything like this yet...but if it happens I'll treat it the same as I do anything else in life...Lifes too short to be bothered with the ignorance of others

http://www.teamnatural.com
Old 03-20-2008, 11:01 AM

I was thinking a little more about Charlie's point that these forums seem devoid of snobbishness. I think that maybe it's because no one on here can physically see a person's expensive, perfectly matched outfit. The kinds of people that do that maybe aren't so interested in fishing as much as portraying an image. So why would someone like that have a desire to ever get on a forum like this? Everyone on this forum really likes fishing, and has no opportunity to judge the others based on what they look like. We talk (type) about things like trout mortality, bears, snakes, and nymphs.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaildarter View Post
I was thinking a little more about Charlie's point that these forums seem devoid of snobbishness. I think that maybe it's because no one on here can physically see a person's expensive, perfectly matched outfit. The kinds of people that do that maybe aren't so interested in fishing as much as portraying an image. So why would someone like that have a desire to ever get on a forum like this? Everyone on this forum really likes fishing, and has no opportunity to judge the others based on what they look like. We talk (type) about things like trout mortality, bears, snakes, and nymphs.
And don't forget the occasional stripper, or striper
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Ain't no snobs here!

Whoa! My wife and I are Dinks! I've been called worse, not sure about her ...