Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-10-2008, 12:20 PM

Default Upper Hazel

Not too long ago there use to be an official campsite above 82 called "Cascades". Does anyone know why it was closed? Or if it is easy to find?
Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM

After reading Kirk's book more carefully, I guess there were two sites above 82, "Proctor Creek", old #81, and "Cascades" old #80. Anyone know why these sites were closed? Was it a money savings issue, lack of use, bad campsites, bear problems or what? Now that the upper sections of Walker, Proctor and Hazel are all open to fishing, it seems like it would be a campsite that would get some use. Especially as a stopover before the steep climb between the Cascades and the AT. Silers Bald shelter really isn't practical as an option for fishing this area.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:26 PM

I would contact Steve Claxton, he knows that area better than anyone.

Mr. Vandalay
Old 02-15-2008, 07:44 AM

I'm assuming that these old campsites aren't legal to stay at? Was planning a trip up there and the higher up we could stay the better since we are planning on coming down from the dome (i know, i've never claimed to be smart). I know we are definitely going this summer but it's always better to be armed with a little more information.

Do you know mr. claxton's email address? I would like to ask him a few questions about this area. Feel free to contact me via email if you wish. Thanks alot.

Craig
Old 03-18-2008, 06:35 PM

Scratch that, now that i think about it i think the cascades are above where proctor runs into hazel, but exactly how far i don't know. I'm sure someone else can fill you in a little better than i.

Craig
Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 PM

You're right Craig... you can't "legally" stay at the old campsites. So are you planning a 10-11 mile hike from the Dome to 82? Meaning you've got to go back up...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM

No no no, i'm not THAT stupid! We are actually just going to continue downhill and back down to the lake when we're done. We are going to park one car at the marina and one at the top of the dome and just arrange for the boat to pick us up. The long hike is actually going to be fun, i think....... I'm really looking forward to this trip, can't wait!!

Craig
Old 03-18-2008, 09:57 PM

Okay... that makes sense... and very doable.

You didn't ask, but for what it's worth, I'd do at least 90% of my fishing from campsite 83 and up. I think you like small water too, so don't pass up some of those feeder streams. You and your fishing partner may have to alternate holes, but it's worth it.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 AM

Yeah that's what we are planning on doing. We are planning on one day up proctor and another day around the cascades. Of course plans can be changed, but i'm about positive that all fishing will be done above the campsite. Like i said, i'm really looking forward to this trip and i hope that there are some good things in store, i just can't imagine this part of hazel getting hardly any pressure.

Craig
Old 04-07-2008, 01:29 PM

Here's the excerpt from Don Kirk's book on old 81 and 80:

http://bp3.blogger.com/_8_eUJfY5I9k/...+old+sites.jpg