Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 04-02-2008, 09:37 PM

Default Packing it all in?

In the fall thru spring when waders are required how does everyone pack it all in? I have an Alaskan outfitter pack and still it's loaded to the gills. I have backpacking gear that's small and light weight but then comes the fishing gear. Waders, boots, warm clothes, rain jacket, vest, rod and reel. Do you all just pick a few of your favorite flys and then take the essentials or do you carry your vests as well. I can't leave home without my vest I would feel nekkid.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 PM

I don't know...when it finally warmed up our last day last week (last Thursday), I got by with shorts and wading boots...the water didn't feel bad at all. The rest of the time, I was in hippers, but I was glad to be rid of them by the end of the week. I try to go as light as possible - I find that I have no problems staying warm, because I'm always moving, scrambling over rocks, etc.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:44 AM

I have an osprey aether 85 pack, which is big enough to pack everything i need inside of it sans waders and boots. I can get my tent, poles, food, sleeping bag, clothing, chest pack, and everything else inside the pack. I then strap my rod to the side in the water bottle holder and strap it down up higher with a buckle. As far as waders and boots are concerned, i have a waterproof simms bag for my waders that i stuff them in and then i secure that to the bottom of the pack alot like most people secure their sleeping bags. I started out putting my boots in this bag with the waders, but found that it didn't work that well so i just tied my boots together by their laces and secured them to the pack up higher with a buckle by their laces. I thought they would dangle around alot and aggrevate me but surprisingly, they didn't. Hope this helps and may give you some ideas.

Craig
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 AM

I have not been wearing waders for the last two weeks in the smokies. It is still a little cold, but after the first few minutes it wears off. I really dislike waders so as soon as I can I start wet wading?
Old 04-03-2008, 10:15 AM

Get a packable rain coat, buckle the boots and rod to the outside of the pack, Pack the waders in a waterproof bag or chamber of the pack and by all means - lose the vest. There have been a couple of threads on how to go light. You should check them out (I think a few may have been in the Tackle and Gear Forum area).

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM

WNCFLY I have not been wearing waders for the last two weeks in the smokies. It is still a little cold, but after the first few minutes it wears off.

That is you losing the feeling in your legs! =)
Old 04-04-2008, 05:28 PM

All i take is a pair or sandles to wade in this time of year. I take a little fly box with a variety of flys and some floatant, tippet, and some forcepts. This is definatly the lightest way to go, especially if you are going on a lengthly trip. I just put everything in my pocket when i fish. When i go on shorter trips i take my orvis fanny pack.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:26 PM

What TroutAssasin said. I made one of those lanyards you see with swivels and snaps. I also wear a Eagle Creek neck pouch. I have everything I need. But on a long day trip, I'll still bring a small pack.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:19 PM

When I was in the Army, if it didn't fit in my pack, I used a waterproof bag to put the extras in and just tied it to the outside of by pack where it wouldn't bug me. I walked a lot in the Army...Never voulnteer for the infantry. It's just not wise.