Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Default Sandals for Wet Wading

I have been thinking about buying some sandals for wet wading for a number of years. The reason I hesitate is that I worry that small pebbles can easily find their way between the sandal and my foot. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-23-2008, 09:49 AM

Default wading sandals

ccmmcc, I too thought wading sandals would be a great idea. Like you said -pebbles are always underfoot. I have gone back to a wading shoe with a neoprene footie. No pebbles, more suport, and fits better. I never felt secure with my wading sandal. I still have them, but only use them sparingly. Monk
Old 03-23-2008, 11:18 AM

Yes, that's exactly what happens with sandals: pebbles between your foot and the sandal. On the other hand, I waded in flip-flops for all my youthful years (or "thongs" as my Yankee wife calls them. I told her that I thought a thong was something else). Flip-flops have the advantage of being able to quickly raise your foot and shake out any gravel that gets in there, unlike sandals. They have the disadvantage of needing dexterous, strong toes to keep them on while wading. Flip-flops really aren't good enough in rigorous mountian terrain, so when I fish the mountains, I do like monktrout and use neoprene footies (make from an old leaky pair of neoprene waders) and boots. Also, an old pair of hightop basketball shoes with a slab of felt glued to the bottom are quite comfortable.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 PM

I have a pair of the Chota sandals and for the same reasons as everyone else, I wish I had not bought them. Pebbles constantly underfoot, These are open toe and your feet get beat up by rocks. The sandals fit good when dry but they stretch out when wet and my foot slides around in them no matter how much I tighten them. If you really want sandals, get a pair with an enclosed toe area like the Simms. I know several people who like those but they are fishing from a drifter primarily and only wade in them when necessary. I went back to a pair of lightweight boots for the support and protection. The only time I use the sandals anymore is for kayaking with limited wading.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:48 PM

After trying out Keen sandals and Teva water shoes last summer, I came to the conclusion that I much prefer my boots and a pair of lightweight liner socks. (Smartwool, I think...quick drying) I like having felt underfoot on the slick bottoms of most of the streams we fish here in N Alabama and also like the thought of a snake having a boot to chew on instead of my naked footsies should I ever...God forbid...step on one!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 PM

You should get the Simms wading sandals. You don't have to worry about banging your toes because of the toe guard, and I also haven't had to deal with any rocks or pebbles in the sandal. They are amazing for the wet wading season.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:17 PM

I've been wearing Chaco sandals for years, ain't no trouble panning pebbles out should one get underfoot, if it fits well, very few pebbles to begin with
Having just finding the Korker wading boots, i'm sure the sandal will be next, i love the toe protection on it, something the Chaco dosen't have.
I take my sandals off while fishing from a watercraft, i like going barefooted, a boot would be a pain for me.

Grumpy
Old 03-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
I take my sandals off while fishing from a watercraft, i like going barefooted
I agree whole heartedly Grumpy. I can't wait, in another month the weather will be warm enough for barefoot boat rides until October. I've already been barefooted several times this year, but it's still a little cold.