Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-23-2008, 09:34 PM

Default Nothing like it...

I go through extended periods trying to convince myself that nymphing is for me; that it's a technique I could be content using for most if not all of my trout fishing. It's challenging, effective, and (arguably) down right exciting at times. So I stock up my selection of nymphs, and I re-read my books on subsurface fishing.

Then it happens... I stumble into a hatch, and a rising fish. My pulse races and I fumble through my box for the right fly. The fish rises again and I drop my first fly in the water because my hands are shaking. I get the fly tied on and as I nip off the tag end of my tippet I realize I nipped off the standing section, and I have to start all over again.

Finally, the fly is on, the presentation is made and with a mad leap the 10" rainbow comes out of the water as my fly drifts by. My hair trigger reaction is to jerk the fly off the water into the trees behind me. I break it off and start again. After the third cast it all comes together and only then does my pulse fall back into double digits.

There is NOTHING like casting a dry to a rising trout. For me it's what trout fishing is all about.

Happy Easter!
He is risen (They were rising)
He is risen indeed! (They were rising indeed!)
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 PM

If it wasn't dark, I'd be heading out right now.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:08 PM

Your post made MY pulse go into double digits as well! We did not get to fish today so I have been trolling message boards...living vicariously. We are going to the Hiwassee in April and I am counting down the days til we are there fishing the dry fly! Nothing like it...I agree!
Old 03-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Great Post!
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 AM

Default Hitting the mark!

You absolutely just summed up exactly how I usually feel this time of year! Frustraitingly awesome! Expecially when you're seeing larger fish eating dries! I'm a firm believer in changing flies and hitting the mark, but I wind up doing it the same way, a true nymph fisherman! Fish deep, fish big!

~Brett
Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Right on...in both ways...

I'm planning to fish the area next week. This weekend I found myself opening the nymph box to look at them. It was quickly closed and the the dry fly box was opened. When the vise came out, I found I had motivation to tie only green and dark caddis floaters to supplement the amber improved X caddis I've taken so many fish with.

I feel the need to tie more bwos and blue quills.

Late next week, I'm planning to fish upper Cosby then run south to Robbinsville and fish headwaters in that area for brookies.

Any thoughts on what I should expect to see hatching?

Thanks,
Old 03-24-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by permit91 View Post

Any thoughts on what I should expect to see hatching?
There were alot of bugs in the air on Saturday. I saw small dark stoneflies, alot of small gray mayflies (some BWO, some BQ), a few size 12 or larger mayflies (Quill Gordons?) and a variety of caddis. The fish I saw rising were taking small duns that were having trouble getting airborn off the water giving the fish a good long look. I ended up taking several fish on a size 16 olive parachute like the one in my avatar. Once the feeding starts they are not too picky until they have been poked in the lip a few times.

I don't know what you may see up in the elevations that you will be fishing.

Good luck!
Old 03-24-2008, 11:58 AM

These posts are killing me! I've gotta go fishing somewhere with rising trout, hopefully this weekend...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-24-2008, 01:36 PM

Adirondack46r,

Great post. You summed up the excitement and the rush to that first cast perfectly. It was as if I was watching myself fish, except you got to the water probably quicker.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:29 PM

I got out Saturday and caught about ten bow's and a spec on dries. I caught all of them on a BWO and a female adams. What surprised me was that I was at a stream that was over 3000 ft. I planned on nymphing but when I saw the surface activity I knew it would be a fun day. I love spring....