Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM

Default Pompano on Fly

Anyone had success catching Pompano on a fly rod? If so, what pattern? I have fished the surf a lot in Destin but don't think I am getting out quite far enough with a fly rod. Do I need to get out to the second sand bad?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM

Daniel,
My experience flyfishing in the surf is limited and
I have never caught pompano on the fly before. When we would catch them on spin outfits we would be using shrimp.
Most of the time when the pompano feed they are at the wave breaks very close in to the shore. They wait for the small fish to get toppled in the waves, and then they dart in and feed. They are especially agressive during the incoming tide around structure. I would recommend a small shrimp pattern or a small local baitfish imitator pattern. fish it in the breaks or just behind it on the incoming tide.

Next time I'm at the beach this is what I will be trying. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Hopefully someone else with a little more experience flyfishing in the surf will chime in.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM

I too have often thought about using a fly rod for pompano. We head to the beach every spring and I catch alot of them using jigs with a spin rod. I cant see any reason (other than spanish macks constantly breaking off my tippet) why I could not attempt a similiar jig with a fly rod. Just may give it a try this year.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:55 AM

i had good luck on pompano last year in florida fishing the surf last may. they would only hit a small chart/white clouser. i could see them in packs in the waves. just cast and get ready. they are very aggresive. i caught them early in the morning and they moved further offshore as the morning wore on. good luck!
Old 04-02-2008, 08:44 AM

Thank guys...that's helpful. I have often thought of taking a step ladder out in the surf. Maybe it would help me see with my bad eyes!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:06 PM

There is no tastier fish (in my opinion) than a pompano. VERY GOOD EATS!