Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 03-25-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Upgrading Equipment (Please Advise)

I finally feel comfortable enough that I want to attempt to upgrade from my basic Bass Pro Shop fly outfit to something nicer and better. I don't realy want to sped muh over $275 and I was wondering what you guys thought of the following setup.
A St. Croix Reign 8' 5wt 2pc rod with a Orvis Battenkill Disc 3/4 reel
or a
Orvis Clearwater II 8'6" 5 wt 2pc with a Orivs Battenkill Disc 3/4 reel.

Would these be good options for the 1st upgrade or would you recommend something else.

Thanks Brook Fan
I can't complain about my Bass pro outift but I'm looking for a better warranty if I'm going to spend this much.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:17 PM

As i always say, try to cast before you buy, if you're fishing small water the 8' maybe the ticket, if you're fishing tailwaters the 8'6 &i'd recommend a 9' for that.
I'd also recommend the 5/6 Battenkill for the 5 weight, your line won't coil as bad.

Grumpy
Old 03-25-2008, 11:21 PM

Default Something to think about...

Be sure to check out the TFO rods pro series or better. The price and warranty is a win win situation IMHO.
I have two and want three more. Go by LRO or a dealer near you and give 'em a wiggle, I don't think you'll be disappointed at all.

I also believe quite a few folks here would agree...if anything it gives you an excuse to go to the toy store!

Good Luck
Old 03-26-2008, 07:02 AM

Default Rod & Reel

I have an old Clearwater 5wt and it works fine, but I do agree that you should look at the TFO rods. The Pro series is $150 and is a 4pc. Also, I would strongly recommend that you look at the Orvis Battenkill Bar Stock reel. It has a very good drag. I put together a TFO Pro 3wt and a BBS II for $250 with a rod case for my nephew and it is a very nice outfit. There are some very decent lines for $30 and you are there.

Definitely try to cast any rod before you buy.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 AM

I completely agree on the TFO. I have one and they have a great warranty (I won't rehash my story from last year, but they are a great company!).

If you fish in the park, you may want to look at a 4wt or even a 3wt (I have a 3wt). But the important thing is to cast'em before you buy one and see which feels best.

Also, if you fish in the park, spend more money on a good fly line than a reel. If you fish in tailwaters or large streams (with big fish) then you should look at getting a better reel...

My setup for the park: 7'6" TFO Pro ($149+$20 for the rod tube), SA GPX Line ($64) and an SA reel ($29), for a total of $262.

If you do any hiking, get a 4pc, with a rod tube. I'm also looking at the 8'6" 3wt (or 4wt) for my next purchase for the park. The longer rod while possibly harder to keep out of the trees will allow me to keep more line off the water...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 03-26-2008, 09:09 AM

Definitely check out the TFO rods.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 03-26-2008, 09:58 AM

I have the St. Croix rod you have mentioned (actually the one that came before the Reign but essentially the same rod). Unfortunately, I don't think it's much of an upgrade from your Bass Pro rod. I like mine well enough and it's what I learned to fish on but it's not really an upgrade over what you have. In your price range, I second (OK, third or fourth) the TFO rods. I also cast a couple of the Orvis Clearwater rods and liked them too. A little more expensive, but the Sage Launcy, the Winston Vapor are worth looking at as well.

But bang for the buck, it's hard to beat the TFO Pro series and Finesse series rods.

Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM

I like the St Croix Avid series, at about $210 for a 4-piece. I have a 7'6" 2# that works pretty well in the park. Also a 4# and 5#.

Big fan of Orvis BBS reels too.

sb
Old 03-26-2008, 06:12 PM

TFO Pro series!! From LRO!!! For every rod you own!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the information and I will check out the TFO Pro Series