Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default descent

Straight down....
Old 03-27-2008, 08:54 AM

Hey Craig,

There is a discussion on Forney on the Backcountry Forum. I tried to post a link there to a report from last spring. I missed the link, but Paula came through with it. If you haven't yet, you can check that discussion, I think that is it still on the 1st page of the Backcountry Forum. Just be sure to follow Paula's link and not mine.

Mike
Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 AM

Default Fishing Forney Creek

Hey MtnMan,

I have fished Forney Creek a couple times (weekends) in the Spring. If you hike down from Clingmans Dome it is a long climb but your car will be safer from vandilism. The walk is harder than the hike into Enloe Creek in my opinion. However, there are some interesting logging artifacts on the trail that make it interesting. Yes this area was logged, but has recovered very nicely. If you park at Lakeshore Road (the road to nowhere) there is a chance your car will be vandilized. I gave a fisherman a ride whose truck was stolen and my truck was broken into (two seperate trips a couple of years ago). This parking area and the Abrams Creek campsite parking areas are the only two areas I have had problems with breakins. Beware, many kids from Bryson City party at parking lot on the road to nowhere and where there is much alcohol there are problems. The Park service cleans the parking area at the road to nowhere so the broken glass is not always evident.

On a brighter note, Forney creek gets less fishing pressure than Hazel creek and Noland creek. The creek makes a straight line down between Forney Ridge and Welsh Ridge so there are not many pools or deep runs, mostly pocket water. The best fishing is between campsites 74 and 70. Campsite #71 is heavely used by horse riders, I would recommend campsite #70.

I caught many rainbows and some browns on Forney, nothing over 12 inches. This creek has a few braids in the stream beds and I found the largest and most willing fish on some of the smaller braids. Good luck.