Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Default Day one

My son and I went up LR today. We fished West Prong of LR for a while and didn't see much happening. We drove up the gravel road past Tremont to the end. We hiked up a little (the path off to the right as you're looking up stream. We went up to the foot bridge and fished around there for a while.

The big news from today is a double header. The first fish caught on my son's new rod and the first fish I caught on a fly I tied myself.

We're going to be up around the same area tomorrow (Friday 3/2. I'm driving a red Pontiac G6 with Kentucky Plates on the back and a C. F. Martin Guitars license plate on the front. If you see us up there, stop by and say hi.

Jeff

Here are pics of my son fishing and the fish.

Last edited by jeffnles1; 03-27-2008 at 09:12 PM..
Old 03-27-2008, 09:02 PM

Way to go!

How easy is the access up there. Our family is coming down in 2 weeks and me and the 7 year old are looking for a place. I hope another Ky fly fisherman has a little luck too.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 03-27-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
Way to go!

How easy is the access up there. Our family is coming down in 2 weeks and me and the 7 year old are looking for a place. I hope another Ky fly fisherman has a little luck too.
David,
It's not a difficult walk at all. Take the road up by Tremont (about 50 yards past the "Y" heading toward Cades Cove. The stream runs right by the road. If you want to walk a little, go to the end of the gravel road. There are two paths that go along the rivers. Either one is easy to access. The one to the left is a little more difficult to get to the stream, but the paths are very level. Very pretty water up there. Actually, all of that stream up by Tremont is pretty water. Lots of pools, riffles, plunge pools, just a pretty place to spend a day fishing.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 PM

Jeff,
Nice job getting your son hooked on fly fishing. Great job with tying the fly.
Watch out for the rain that is expected to be around tomorrow.
Glad you guys had a good time.
Let us know how you do tomorrow.
-Ben
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 PM

Great report! Glad ya'll caught some fish... Try the left hand trail and hike up a little ways and access gets easier again although it probably gets a little more pressure. There is some beautiful water up that way...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-27-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Great report! Glad ya'll caught some fish... Try the left hand trail and hike up a little ways and access gets easier again although it probably gets a little more pressure. There is some beautiful water up that way...

Nice pictures....youve made up my mind that I might be too sick to go to my one class tomorrow. I'll be either above Tremont following the left trail above the cascades, or I might try some new water above Elkmont. Anyway I'll be in a Black 4 door tacoma with TN Bradley county tags if I run into you i'll say hey.

Matt
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gerry Romer
Default Close

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
David,
It's not a difficult walk at all. Take the road up by Tremont (about 50 yards past the "Y" heading toward Cades Cove. The stream runs right by the road. If you want to walk a little, go to the end of the gravel road. There are two paths that go along the rivers. Either one is easy to access. The one to the left is a little more difficult to get to the stream, but the paths are very level. Very pretty water up there. Actually, all of that stream up by Tremont is pretty water. Lots of pools, riffles, plunge pools, just a pretty place to spend a day fishing.

Jeff

Jeff --

If you took the trail to the right, you went over toward Thunderhead prong. I haven't had a great deal of luck there. If you take the trail to the left after crossing the wooden bridge at the horse trailer park, you'll be going up toward Lynn Camp Prong. Much better fishing over there. You have to hike up a bit to find easy access. After you pass "The Cascades" on your left - I think it's about 3/4 mile up the trail - the stream comes back closer to the trail. This is the section they're going to close later this year. If you hike in far enough, you'll be into some good Brookie water.

On you way back up though, you might want to try the section right above the Institute, shortly after the start of the gravel road. I've consistently had good luck through this section.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:57 PM

Default Access with a 7 year old

You might try fishing through Elkmont Campground, if it is not filled up. Good access from the first bridge in the campground on up.. From a fellow Kentuckian. Oldham Co & UK! Lived in St. Matthews a long time.
Hope you all have a great stay in the Smokies. The West Prong might be a good try as well, often lots of small fish.
Best,
John