Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-28-2008, 04:17 PM

Default Fishing report 3/28

Daniel and I started the day at LRO to pick up some tying supplies and chat with Byron, Paula and the gang a little.

We went up the middle prong today and fished some of the lower elevation stretches but didn't have much luck. We decided to hike up by Lynn Camp Prong and see what was going on up there.

We fished a few "fishy" looking spots up past the cascades and started getting on fish. We fished and hiked about a mile on up past the cascades.

We noticed some gray mayflies hatching and went to dry flies. While we didn't set any records, we caught a few fish. We ended up with 6 for the day and at least a dozen more near misses with thirty or more rises.

On the way back down, we went up toward Thunderhead prong and fished around the foot bridge for a while. I caught two little rainbows right under the bridge on a Para Adams.

I have some photos but have not uploaded them yet. I'll try to load them up this evening.

Jeff
Old 03-28-2008, 11:30 PM

Default Rising Fish!

I have yet to take a fish on a dry this year! I bought a bunch of dries the other day, probably duplicates of some container full in my tackle bag, but hey its spring! Glad you got into some!
John
Old 03-28-2008, 11:51 PM

I passed Jeff and Daniel up on Lynn Camp and went a bit farther up. Jeff was pretty occupied at the time so I didn't interrupt.

Around 2:00 or so, they really started hitting on dries. While I've had them dinking the dries on previous outings, this was the first day I've actually been able to hook 'em up. Here is the monster that got to be my first trout of the year ('bout time!)

I caught 7 on a PA and 3 more shook off before I could get them to hand. Several small ones (the one above being the smallest of the day) but 3 in the 8" range.

Had many more banging the flies as they floated down. One pool in particular was full of fish on the rise. Great time on Lynn Camp and I can now quit pretending to fish with nymphs and get back to the fun stuff!

Got to meet Jeff and Daniel back at LRO. Nice to put names and faces together.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com