Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM

Default April Fools

In keeping with the spirit of the day, I figured I should try to fool a few fish yesterday. I stopped by LRO to buy some new wading boots and say hi to Byron and Paula. While there I got to meet John Switow and Brian Griffing (nice meeting you guys!). It is always nice to put a face with names from the board... Anyway, after I got done at LRO, I headed up Little River intending to mainly hit spots that I knew had big browns in the vicinity. The first couple of spots didn't produce but then things started picking up when I stopped again. I caught a few small browns and missed a good one of 13-14 inches. I guess the joke was on me at that point.

Later in the day I headed up above Elkmont and managed to catch several rainbows and another brown. The interesting thing about yesterday was that the fish weren't hitting my dries very well. At the first spot I started catching fish, they were taking my dry at first but the larger fish (that I missed) hit a weighted softhackle dropper. Nymphs proved much more effective with the best fly yesterday being a small bhpt (#16). There were fish rising but not in every pool. You had to pick your spots if you wanted to fish to actively rising fish...

Late in the day, it started looking like there would be a good spinner fall on LR somewhere above Metcalf. Unfortunately, the weather wouldn't cooperate and I got chased off the water by lightning.

As far as bugs, there were a few mayflies here and there including Quill Gordons, Blue Quills, and a couple stray Hendricksons... The stoneflies were hatching very well with the early brown stones being the predominate bug... At times they were flying off the water in waves...

The biggest joke on me yesterday was just getting my reflexes back up to par for fishing the park. Thankfully it usually only takes 1 trip each spring so next time I'll hopefully miss fewer fish...

A few pictures...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com

Last edited by David Knapp; 04-02-2008 at 04:47 PM..
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Cool pics...it is funny how sometimes the fish just won't look up, even when the temps are ideal and there are hatches going on. I noticed that last week; we fished Lynn Camp our last day, starting mid-morning...nothing, either on dries or nymphs. Then, around noon, it was like a switch was thrown, and the fish started to look up, even in the deep pools. We stayed with dries the rest of the day, and we did pretty well.

One other thing I observed...the brookies tend to look up more, at least it worked out that way for us. They were hitting dries, even in the snow.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:00 PM

Default The Switch

I fished Lynn Camp last Friday and the switch was flipped around 2:00 when they suddenly started hitting dries. I had stubbornly used dries the whole day except for a half hour or so when I first arrived and had caught a couple of tiny ones. Then the switch - and I could cast no wrong.

Spring is our friend.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Plateau Angler, it was nice meeting you too. We went up above Elkmont and I managed to get a few to come up for a dry fly, but like you, not as many as I expected. The suprise of the day, however, came at the end when I found a fish that was every bit 16 inches, and probably bigger but I am accounting for some excitement that may have skewed my perception. Anyway, he came up to look at my fly but didn't take. I tried a few more times, changed flies, and then even let it sink and stripped it in like an emerger, but just couldn't that big ol' boy to commit. He came to look a few times, but wouldn't be fooled. Anyway it was a great day, even if the joke was on me, too. My buddies were crying at that point about how their wives were going to be upset. And even though I told them to relax because they were with my wife and she would assure them that if I said 6:00, I really meant I would start thinking about it at 6 and probably be home some time after dark, they got me to leave and we drove by you on the water just before the lightning hit. You were knee deep and having fun.
A side note from the same day: Here is a shameless plug for LRO. I stopped in there Tuesday morning with my buddies who were visiting. My buddies needed liscenses. Paula took the time to ask if my friend was in the Marines, too. He is, so she informed us that he didn't need a liscense, just leave papers. She let Jay get on the computer, and print out his leave papers. That's not customer service, that's helping a guy out, and that's why I love going there. Just one example.
Anyway, I brought a nice tom to within 40 yards this morning but we couldn't get a clean shot. I have to go hit the rack so I can get up early, because I plan on getting that bird on the ground tomorrow.
PA, nice meetin ya.
Paula, it was nice talking to you and thanks for the help.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:07 AM

Brian, glad you caught some fish and had a good day as well. If you're ever looking for someone to fish with, give me a holler...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com