Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-03-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
Just bear in mind to go light on running down the "plastic bait under a popping cork on spinning or casting tackle".
I wasn't running it down at all...that's the basic rig we use down here for speckled trout and redfish (I have a saltwater fly rig, but I haven't broken it in yet). All I was saying is that, in comparing the esthetic qualities of it to fly fishing, it suffers in comparison; I don't think there will be a movie extolling the virtues of lobbing a "Speckulizer" rig up against an oil rig. It's just the nature of things.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:21 PM

I hate it when I tell some one that I fly fish and they say something like; "it must be tough fishing for flys" I want to rip 'em apart everytime!
Old 04-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
face it, I don't think we would get so worked up if these fish looked like carp, or suckers, etc
It's not just the trout in the Smokey streams that are pretty.

This little guy (and all of his kinfolk I've caught) are downright beautiful too.

Fortunately, I've never had anyone make fun of me for fly fishing. Usually, it's the other way around. Regardless of if I'm in the mountains, a local warm water stream or a lake / pond, I get a lot of people asking questions about fly fishing. Most assume it's some kind of black magic and it must be really hard. I've let a number of kids cast my rod at local lakes and ponds. A few of them have caught their first fish on a fly.

My personal goal is to be an ambassador for the sport every chance I get.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM

I got you IJ, I read into it too far. My wife was learning to cast the Fly rod late last year and it took me till recently to realize that she really just enjoys throwing her Zebco 33 more than anything so I've backed off. I figure "what the heck?" She likes to fish and I shouldn't run it down if she enjoys the 33, it's all about the experience and enjoyment anyhow. You guys have a good one, I've got to get back to work so I can afford to fish later. --Bran
Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 PM

Smile It is funny the reactions...

I'm sure this is a norm for you Guy's that are in the creek all the time. But last April, during my first Fly Fishing Trip to the Mountains ever, I was standing in the River at Metcalf Bottoms having a little luck. This nice Asian couple came to the bank and watched quietly for 30-40 minutes. When I stopped to re-tie the lady asked (in heavily accented, broken english) if she could take my picture...I was taken aback but agreed and she started snapping away...back cast, high stick, roll cast etc etc click click click. Finally I fooled a young 'bow on the rise (that had vexed me for an hour it seemed) and brought him to hand and walked over to the bank so the couple could see the 4-5" Rainbow. They were delighted! The husband said "Beautiful fish, but I see that not why you really in creek...it look more fun just trying!"

After some more photos of Mr. Rainbow... we released him and I waded back into the stream...the lady said "that fun...can you do it again!"

Over the three days we were there people stopped and took our picture numerous times at different places on the river...I keep thinking I'll show up on some internet stock photo distributer...but then I look in a mirror
Old 04-03-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
The husband said "Beautiful fish, but I see that not why you really in creek...it look more fun just trying!"
Now, there is a man who "gets it".

I've had my picture taken a lot. I've had some nice conversatios with the people alongside the streams and lakes. Mainly the kids and moms are the ones with the questions. It seems the men are drawn to the technical aspects of fly fishing and the women are more interested in the astetic aspects. I have had a number of women comment on how peaceful fly fishing looks and how "pretty" it is to see the line going through the air. The men usually ask about the equipment and mechanics of how to cast. Usually, the kids want to know how many fish I caught.

Jeff
Old 04-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Default No worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
I got you IJ, I read into it too far.
No problem...kinda figured that. I probably didn't make the point very well, which was...it's not just like comparing apples and oranges...it's more like comparing apples to asparagus - it's a totally different game, not inferior, but different. Our inshore saltwater fishing might be the best in the world, as far as raw numbers are concerned. Even with a deteriorating, disappearing coast, the amount of fish available is staggering; these fish, particularly the speckled trout, reproduce in such large numbers, so the limits are fairly liberal (although not as relaxed as a few years ago....and my dad could remember a time when there were no limits). So, it is more of a numbers game down here - there isn't much of a catch n' release ethos, for better or worse. It's a little different with the redfish; the purse seines almost wiped them out in the 80s, feeding the blackened redfish craze. We're limited to 5 a day with them, and it's the redfish that are the better target for the fly - I'm going to get some this summer...they pull like a freight train. On the flip side, I kept a few trout this last trip...the first time I've done that. They were rainbows, from Lynn Camp, and they were certainly well beyond the minimum length, and I did so in the knowledge that the 'bows in that stream are destined to be poisoned out later this year anyway - but I still felt a little odd keeping them. However, my daughters and I certainly enjoyed them a couple nights later.

It's funny to think about the topic of snobbery...sure, there's a lot of it in fly-fishing, although I can honestly say I haven't met anyone in person who would fit the definition...yet. There's snobs in other forms of fishing, too...it just takes different forms. For the most part, it takes the form of having to have the fastest boat around; you see these guys running around here, spending all their time keeping their boat on plane instead of fishing. When they aren't running around, it's a contest to see how much barley pop they can polish off in a day. So, I believe we shouldn't beat ourselves up too much over any perceived elitism; there's plenty of arrogance out there, in any endeavor.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:04 PM

Default Different Strokes

It is nearly impossible to adequately explain the thrill of fly fishing to someone who has never done it.

For me, I just don't get flying down a snowy mountain at 60 miles an hour on sticks with poles. I don't get the thrill of parachuting or weight lifting or kayaking or a lot of things and most of those, I have no interest in even trying. By the same token, you'll never talk some folks into fly fishing.

Fly fishing either strikes a chord in you or it doesn't. You will never get some people, even avid fisherpersons, to take hold of a fly rod and stand in a mountain stream stalking an undersized wild trout. There's a bass fisherman at work who will try fly fishing but only as another way to catch bass in a lake.

What I do doesn't have the same (didn't say equal, just same) thrill as a 3 pound smallmouth on a crank bait or stripers or monster cats. But for some of us there's no more direct line to our thrill button than from a wild trout to a dry fly to a fly line/rod to our hand. It is absolutely electric. And if you're not wired that way, you're no better or worse, just different; just like the fact that I don't understand skiing and have no interest in trying it is no measure of my character, worth or status.

Different strokes for different folks - I'll stick with fly fishing, thank you very much and bless your heart if you'd rather jump from an airplane.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-03-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2L8 View Post
But for some of us there's no more direct line to our thrill button than from a wild trout to a dry fly to a fly line/rod to our hand. It is absolutely electric.
That's exactly it...it's that sensation, that mental image in the mind, that keeps me coming back again and again. It's that picture of a dry, placed exactly where you wanted it...drifting, drifting, and you know the take will happen any second now, but it still takes you by surprise - sometimes so much so that you forget to react and set the hook.

It's that picture that I keep in my head, and that I think about when my mind starts to wander at work. You cannot top that sensation, and it can't be described in mere words. If I could bottle it, I'd be rich.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jross View Post
have you ever had someone mock you because you enjoy catching fish that often don't surpass the foot mark? How do you respond or do ya?
Just once. It was the same guy who thought I was goofy for deer hunting with an old recurve when I could have been hunting with a new fangled, widget infested, carbon encrusted wheelie wonder. For some, it's all about size and numbers. For some, it's all about the journey. That's not to imply that either is right. That's not even to imply that our attitudes are static. As I grow older the experiences and things that I value have changed. I'll take a fishless day in the mountains over a 20 fish day shoulder to shoulder on the Beaverkill any day. Then again, I'll take an afternoon babysitting my grandbaby over just about anything these days. ;-)