Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-09-2008, 08:38 AM

Aside from the size of the fly I have found that as I advance in years I need additional help locating those feathery things once on the water.....when I first started fishing as a teenager the fly of choice was a Ginger Quill and even then it was hard to see....then came the discovery of the Wulff type flies and parachutes.....since these waters are rarely open to a lot of sunlight I find a spot of white or even orange really helps in keeping an eye on fly...
Old 04-09-2008, 08:02 PM

Default 1st Brook

The chase is good enough but I do hope to one day see a wild Brook face to face and hopefully because of my fly and not my partners.

Last edited by Brook Fan; 04-09-2008 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: mispl
Old 04-09-2008, 09:34 PM

For me, a consistent weapon in the quest for brookies is a #16 Parachute Adams, going yellow in the summer. Small enough not to scare off a good brookie but really easy to track in the water with the parachute on top.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 PM

I second the nomination of the PA - undoubtedly the most versitile fly around, in either the "regular" or yellow configurations. If the brookies are a bit skitterish, as they were back in November, I'll drop down to a #18 or even a #20.

Another good one to try, as we drift towards summer, is the foam yellow stonefly - I noticed LRO was getting cleaned out of those last year. Finally, this time of year is perfect for a Mr Rapidan - a Wulff type fly with yellow posts that is very easy to see in choppy water.

Brook Fan: If you want to get one of those wild brookies, as George Allen used to say, the future is NOW (although this weekend isn't shaping up too good, weather-wise). There are a couple of streams in the park that don't require much hiking where you can get some specs - just don't expect any monsters. One day I would like to try Raven Fork; that stream does require quite a hike, but it is larger and therefore holds some larger fish. Many years from now, after the restoration is complete, Lynn Camp might be a similar fishery. If you would like, email me at ijsouth@yahoo.com if you would like some streams and locations, etc.

A living jewel
Old 04-10-2008, 01:36 AM

Default Time for a little disagreement!

On size! Byron has stated to many folks on many occassions that I recal, whether being in the shop or on the board. In fishing these past 5 or 6 years, on and off, in the park I've come to notice that on certain days, specifically the spring and summer, size normally isn't an issue!

Now consider that a vast majority of my time fishing is knee deep in a tailwater, I don't fish the smokies as often as I should. I will say that fishing a tailwater is a whole nother animal!!! Size is a definate, color is next, and shape can ruin your day! I've run into that problem many many times on a tailwater.

As far as the smokies are concerned, get close on the size, don't worry to much about the shape, and definately pick the right colors!!!!

I've never had any real success with the weenie...but I'll give you a great fly for brookies with some good overhanging tree's in the smokies...It's a Serendipity....It's a simple tie too! I would use a TMC5262 in about a size 14 maybe 16, brown thread, amber wire (SM), and then use some elk hair for the head.....Hook in vice, catch in your wire, tie to bend, build thread base, whip, wrap evenly upshank with wire, whip, tie in clump of elk (on top), whip twice, then cut the elk hair so that it hangs over about 1/4 of an inch from where you tied the hair in at....It is a killer pattern that duplicates a brown inch worm! I've personally seen brookies come from about 4' away and slam that fly the second it hit the water, it was some of the fastest fishing you had ever seen!

Now as for other patterns I'd reccoment....Spotlight yellow sally (Umpqua), yellow "rabbit dubbed" parachute 14's and 16's, para adams 12,14,16, Bufus slow water sally 14 and 16, bwo's 16 through 22's, madam x sulphur and adams 14 and 16, terrestrials...the power of the ant folks!, and of course one rediculously sized goldne stone fly...that is one hatch that makes me angry! I never have one in the box when needed!

Those in your fly box, should land you fish all summer long in the smokies!

~Brett

Oh, and a Doc's cork 14, 16, and a yellow humphy 14 16
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 AM

As always I'm the last to post about anything, but I have to say that while i think that most of the time you can get away with anything thunderhead or yellow caddis (as far as dries), i think there is this misconception that Smokies fish are 100% opprotunistic and non selective as a whole so size, shape, and color are a non issue....if that were true, then we'd all be posting pics of grip n' grins till storage ran out on LRO's server...
IMHO, fishing pocket water or faster riffle water can take generic, less particular patterns - those close enough for government patterns -most of the time and I'll even upsize a bug for clarity,but when fishing pools or clear slower water in the park or hatches, sometimes a more accurate pattern is warranted. I've fished several hatches i the park where shape, size, and color matter and it was comparable to fishing a tailwater as far as "technical" is concerned and while i carry a bulk of my "goto" generics , I keep a couple of carbon copies (tailwater caliber) flies in the box for those selective times...
As for small flies, I only break out the small stuff in the winter but even then there are LBC to keep my eyes from hurting when fishing dries...
And I have to pay homage the venerable GREEN WEENIE - ode to the power of the weenie (during the right season of course)...a few big brownies and a slew of specs that would vault out of the water to grabb this fly before it hit the water will change anyones mind...
Old 04-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Thanks ijsouth
I'll certainly take as much inof as you want to provide.
I'lll shot you an email today.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:57 PM

Brook Fan:

Check your email.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM

Default GSM Trip

Thanks for the info
My father in law and I have chose our target and hopefully on the 20th there will be some post of some beautiful wild trout.