Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-06-2008, 08:30 PM

Default Tough day in the park

Water was on the high side at Elkmont this PM. decided to try a back up which I go to when I encounter high water. I rigged up and though the stream was awful slow. Sure enough, I was fishing behind someone. Oh well, I went to my third option. West Prong of Little Pigeon. I decided to go way down to the park boundary below park headquarters. The river was on the high side even this low. I was able to fish at a few runs and caught three small rainbows. I took the water temp and it was about 53 degrees. A beautiful day but not very productive. It looked like all the park was overrun with visitors today. I think everybody was ready for a sunny day in the park.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM

I did decent at Elkmont this evening. Hiked up with the wife quite a ways before I started. The water was high but clear. Ended up catching 12 to 15 in around an hour. Missed quite a few as well.

Last edited by jwebb541; 04-06-2008 at 10:18 PM..
Old 04-06-2008, 10:35 PM

Were you fishing a bead head nymph? Looks like it in the picture. I fished above Tremont this afternoon. Got 4 rainbow, 1 on dry fly and rest on the dropper nymph. There were lots of bugs coming off the water but only twice did I see trout feed top water.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:27 PM

bead head prince along with a march brown wet fly. Saw action on both
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Default Abrams Creek

I believe that I once read on this board when all the streams are up and running that Abrams Creek is the stream to hit. I also read because it clears much faster than the rest.

Is this true?

.... remember on my intro I said I was just buttering you up to get some of your sweet spot locations out of you? Well....

As always, more than willing to learn.

AK Skim
Old 04-07-2008, 10:18 AM

Abrams usually fishes well for me when the water is up, particularly in the summer, but you have to remember that it is a dangerous stream. When the water is up, it really helps to know the section that you are fishing so you know where it is safe to wade...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-07-2008, 09:14 PM

I fished below Metcalf Bottom today and was surprised that the water flow was still strong and the temp was just 50 degrees. This was about noon. I was planning on going to Elkmont but decided to go back lower hoping the water temp would be better.

Did anybody fish Elkmont today? I want to go up Little River trail tomorrow but don't know if the water will be too high and too cold??