Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-10-2008, 07:53 AM

Default Knoxville Warmwater

Looking for some advice-
I work and live in Knoxville and am looking for some fish to catch after work. I know very little about the fishing here in town and want to start. Carp, bass, panfish, drum-- I really don't care too much. Ideally want to go from shore, but I have a scanoe I could take out on weekends.
Thanks again-
Jamie
Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 AM

I'd like to know if there are any public ponds people can fish for carp or bass or bluegill. Maybe the duck pond in fountain city? I'm not sure about that though? I'm curious about the answers too.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:39 AM

you can fish the duck pond in ftn city, but I'm not so sure I would do it.

jamie, what part of knoxville do work or live in? depending on how much time you have, you can make a short trip to the clinch for some trout.

as far as warmwater, there are some small creeks around that hold fish. ft. loudon lake runs all through downtown and west knox. melton hill lake is not too far from far west knox. both of these provide good fishing opportunities and multiple access points.

there are 2 quarries very close to downtown. I've fished one a few times. it's ok, but it's hard to cast a fly there.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:54 PM

Jamie,
If I am trying to hit a place after work I will fish the rocky shores of Ft. Loudon or find access on Little River for smallies. I have a small boat that I usually fish on the lake in. I live in Maryville and will fish the Greenbelt pond and the pond over in the Springbrook industrial area. You being in North Knox you could hit the Clinch if you wanted to. You could also go over near Soloway and fish around Edgemor Rd at the park on Melton Hill. There is a park out near Hardin Valley elementary on the lake also that has limited access and ramp. For carp fishing in the summer there are some mud flats off of Neyland Drive and access from the greenway. I have not fished there but have seen them there. Concord park offers access to Fort Loudon lake as well as other parks along Northshore Drive in West Knoxville. I'm sorry about the rambling. I'm heading to the mts. in about 20 mins to get some fishing in before the cold front. Good luck
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Warm water

Jamie, You may want to consider the two local steam plants; Bull Run near Clinton and Kingston near I-40. I used to fish Bull Run years ago for hybrids. It won't be easy at either place with a fly rod, but a doable challenge. The Hy 61 section of the Clinch is about ready to sulfur up. Some years have been great. We are all hoping '08 will be one of those years. Hope to get on that section next week. Good Luck, Monk
Old 04-18-2008, 05:16 PM

Default warmwater K'town

My advice is stick your float tube or canoe in at Bluegrass lake. Northshore and Ebenezer. Full of bass, and crappie. Very few people fish it as opposed to long ago secondary to the access. There used to be a little fruit stand there that you could put a small boat in. Access is tough, but I just park at the new office building complex on the lake. Last time I was there, the gate had not been installed. No motors on the lake.

Other option is continue out Northshore past Concord and there is a fishing peir that one can fish from or put in at, or continue out another 1/2 mile on the left and there is a park with a put in that you will see located in a small cove on your left as you enter. Also a small pond there as well. Across from this park is a public boat ramp and fishing that can be done along the opposite shore which is only 30 yards from the ramp.

Good luck

PS.. Crappie are biting big time!

PSS.. Welcome to Knoxville. Home of the best and most freshwater fishing (within 2 hours radius) on the East Coast..just don't tell anybody! LOL