Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM

Default South fork Citico 4-9-08

Did a quick day trip up the south fork just shy of jeffry's ****. The creek holds its size pretty well but the fish i caught were pretty small. I've fished up there before just not guite this far. there was a sparse hatch of orange stonflies #12-14 and a bunch of craneflies. The water was on the chilly side so the trout would rise but not take that well. it was an awsome day on one the most beautiful creeks in the area.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM

You happen to see any snakes..? Some people I work with were up there a few weeks back and one of them got bit by a copperhead..

Marmot
Old 04-10-2008, 08:56 PM

Boy, I'll tell you, the Citico area and Bald River area are infested with snakes. I have seen more snakes in that area than any other in Tennessee. Did your friend recover alright from the copperhead bite? Did he not see the snake?

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-10-2008, 10:48 PM

The snakes were pretty thick but nothin with any kick to its bite. I fish that area a whole lot and i've seen my fair share of rattlers and copperheads. I was fishin North R. last year and got hit twice in one day by snakes fallen out of trees. well best of luck to your buddy he went through a spell of ****.and keep your eyes on the trail.

-Jon
Old 04-11-2008, 11:08 PM

I fished from the confluence of N. Fork and S. Fork of Citico Cr. up past where Falls branch enters. This was in the very early 80's. This was one of the most difficult trips on a trout stream that I ever made. I remember looking up the creek and seeing several waterfalls above us all day long. (waterfall-plunge pool) One right after the other. Awsome fishing. We were using spinners. I did not use a fly rod in those days. We did plenty of rock climbing that trip to get around the falls. I was in my late 20's then so I was pretty comfortable with that trip. I am in my early 50's now and I don't guess I will ever make that trip again. Didn't see any snakes that day but we knew we were amongst them. One thing is for sure. If one of us had been hit by a rattler that day, we would have been in a lot of trouble. We also caught more fish that day than we ever thought possible. I'm sure the fishing is still as good now as it was then. If anyone ever does this trip, try to have someone with you.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:37 PM

As far as the recovery everything went pretty well Im told.. The fella that got bit was a friend of some of the folks I work with that were up there fishing.. From what I understand the snake was on a rock next to the river and he didnt see it till it was too late.. Its a good idea to always keep a watch when on the mountain streams.. Even more so in that area.. Ive known personally 2 people that have been bit up there and have heard of several others and many close calls.. Have seen rattlers in the area that would go four to five feet..

Marmot