Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 04-10-2008, 09:29 PM

Default New Felt Soles

Any advice on putting new felt on the soles of my wading boots? Do you guys just buy new boots or does anybody resole them? Thanks for any help.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-10-2008, 09:55 PM

Go to a hardware store or such, get welder's adhesive. Buy a felt sole kit from LRO. The reason I don't recommend the Aquaseal in the kit is twofold. It is expensive and the tube is not nearly enough for a good coating. Welders adhesive is half the price and twice the size. Do buy the soles from LRO though.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 PM

Default Re-felt

Chris, I have tried to re-felt myself and it is not easy. They are bulky and come loose. This was 15 years ago before Gorilla Glue. Maybe it does the trick. There was a shoe shop on Kingston Pike, across from the Texas Road house, that would resew on your felts. If you have expensive shoes it was reasonable. Don't know if he is in business these days. Sometimes it is easier to just go by LRO and get a new pair.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:04 PM

I believe the shoe shop's name was something like Pendegrass. I think they had to move when they were putting in the access road.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:20 AM

I took a pair of Chota STL boots to Pendergrass last year. They are located on Bearden Hill on Kingston Pike in Knoxville. I had bought the replacement felt which have the holes predrilled in the felt for the screw- in studs. The felt was about $20-$25. Pendergrass charged $25 to glue the felt on.
OK, now I have $50 in new felt on a pair of worn boots. When I received the boots back, they had cut the rubber plugs off the sole when they glued on the new felt, so now the studs cannot be installed.
From now on when the felt wears out, I am just going to by a new pair of boots for about $50-$60. They usually last me about 1 1/2 years anyways. Thought everyone should know before making the same mistake.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Home repair:

buy felt kit

get good glue-as already mentioned

rough both surfaces up some with sandpaper/ apply ample amount to cover both surfaces

while this is drying or soaking in/ stuff both boots with newspaper

apply more glue to surfaces once first application is tacky

get a couple of 3/4" screws & tack the soles on/3 from front to back usually does it

when everyting is aligned, put boot in a plastic shopping bag

take duct tape & wrap from one end to the other ,wrapping around the bag as tight as you can, feeling to make sure the sole hasn't shifted

repeat on 2nd boot

couple days later, cut boot from montrosity, should be ready to wear

Now, i know why i have more than one pair of boots

Grumpy
Old 04-11-2008, 09:00 AM

I as well will always buy new boots. I save my old gear to introduce my friends to the sport.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:35 AM

Default Korkers

Take a look at Korkers wading boots. The have interchangeable soles. They have choices of felt, felt w/studs, rubber hiking soles, rubber w/studs, and I think they make a Stealth and a Boat sole. They have a $79 pair and a $169 pair. I believe you get a set of felt and a rubber sole when you buy a pair.

I love mine. I use the felt to wade and the rubber for hikng and wading the edges of ponds and lakes. I have used one set of felt for 3 seasons and just roughed them up and they are still going strong.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:04 PM

I will place my vote on a new pair of wading boots.

Right now I am into Korkers. The main reason I fish the Salmon River and without heavy studded boots, you will slip and slide your way down river.