Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-11-2008, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to jpavoncello
Default Heading South tomorrow, need advise

I'm leaving bright and early tomorrow for the Smoky's and need to buy my fishing license.
Since I'm only planning on fishing inside the park, is there any reason I should buy a TN ($25.50) license instead of a NC ($10)? We are staying in Pidgeon Forge but will be fishing in the park so either license will work.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:53 AM

buy the NC online
Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM

Yep, go with the nc, absolutely no reason at all to spend the extra money on the tn license.

Craig
Old 04-11-2008, 10:11 AM

Default TN license

Buy the TN license. Better yet, buy it and some supplies from LRO. I'm not sure how NC funds their Wildlife Resource division, but from what I understand, TN get theirs mainly from license sales. If you spend $25.50 on a TN license, that $25.50 goes directly into the TWRA fund.

In my opinion, the more money we can get from people purchasing out of state licenses, the more money, TWRA has for their programs, such as hiring game wardens to patrol the Clinch, which everyone agrees needs to be done.

So, jpavoncello, to answer your question, if you want cheap, buy the NC license. If you want to support the state you're staying in, by the TN license.

Disclaimer: The park is not managed by either NC or TWRA, so mo matter what license you buy, none of your $ will be going to the park. So, make a donation in one of the donation boxes.

Flying Trout, please do not take this as an attack on your answer. This is something I've been wanting to say for a while. I read other posters crying for better enforcement on the Clinch, then, they go and tell someone to buy an out-of-state license to fish the park, makes no sense to me. I did go back and read your posts to make sure you were not one of htem.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzmcmanus View Post
Buy the TN license. Better yet, buy it and some supplies from LRO. I'm not sure how NC funds their Wildlife Resource division, but from what I understand, TN get theirs mainly from license sales. If you spend $25.50 on a TN license, that $25.50 goes directly into the TWRA fund.
I read the article by the owner of this message board and LRO this morning on his internet business and how fly shops are closing all over.

One of my favorite was the Cold Spring Angler's Fly Shop in Carlisle, PA. A true Mom & Pop operation. The type of shop they were glad to see you and made you feel welcome. I believe they just wanted to retire and did so.

Another shop in NJ where I made more than a half dozen fly rods, purchased a great deal of my fishing and tying supplies from, closed their doors this past February. The owner who was only 50 years old passed away. A great guy.

buzzmcmanus in his post really made the fine point that we as a fly fishing community have to support our local fly shops and in the case of where you purchase your license does in fact have an impact on the quality of fishing we come to expect. I know it is only $15.50 more for a TN v. NC license, but really what is the true cost? If you have a young family and I can see and accept someone coming to the Smokies and opting for the less expensive license. But, if you come from a good distance to fish these fine waters, it is well worth the extra $15.50.

I am lucky where I have the ability and means to travel and fish, I generally purchase no less than 5 different state licenses a year. Some of these states I will spend less than a week in, but I purchase the annual license instead. My way of saying thanks for letting me fish your waters.

The same goes for local Fly shops. I always stop in and make purchases. I dislike people who walk into a fly shop wander around and then ask the shop owner about locations and patterns, only to walk out without even buying a hat or tee shirt.

AK Skim
Old 04-14-2008, 11:49 AM

Not to knock you Buzz, but NC also has game wardens and game management as well. Not to mention a lot more trout water. Once again I am not trying to be argumentative with you but you have to remember that the park is also NC territory as well.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:43 PM

What's the "Clinch?"
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Buy the NC license online and take the $15 you saved and buy some Little Yellow Sallies and Hendrickson patterns from Little River Outfitters. Putting money in TWRA's pocket for fishing streams they don't manage is going to do very little, if anything, to help local fly shops. On the other hand, parlaying the savings on the license into a purchase from LRO helps them out more than the agent fee would, I presume.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:56 PM

Clinch River
Old 04-14-2008, 01:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to JimmyC

Only one of the finest tailwater trout fisheries in North America ... according to me, who has been to about 5.