Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-12-2008, 04:09 PM

Question What can I expect?

I am lucky enough to be coming to TENN for a turkey hunt near TRO. Since there could be trout fishing in the afternoon what shoul I expect? Is a 71/2 ft #4 wt appropriate? Had lotsa experience in salt, and some big fish out west, but never had the pleasure of the Smokies. Thanks
Old 04-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Hal,

First of all, welcome to the board! I believe you'll love fishing in the Smokies.

I use a 7'9" 4wt and it's perfect for the smaller, livelier streams in the mountains. I believe you'll do fine with that rig. From this point on, trout fishing is going to be great so what you should expect is a lot of action. As for flies, there are lots of good choices. Check out the Suggested Flies link on the LRO fishing report page. If you want to keep it simple, you can't go wrong with a #14 Parachute Adams for flies and a Bead Head Pheasant Tail for nymphs. LRO can also put together a package of flies for Smokies fishing if you want to go that route.

Come on up and have yourself a ball - no hurricanes up here!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com