Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM

Default Etiquette

First of all, did I spell "Etiquette" correctly?! Secondly, my question: If I go to a trout river/stream that is already being fished. What is the proper etiqutte(?) when others are around...In other words, who has the right of way (front and back) and why?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
First of all, did I spell "Etiquette" correctly?!
According to Bill Gates, you did...now, as for the question, since for the most part everyone is fishing and moving upstream, the trick is to give the fellow ahead of you plenty of room, while getting out from the "used" water. I don't think there's a set rule for how far - I've heard a couple hundred yards a few times, but the point is not to swoop down right on top of him. There's usually plenty of stream to go around.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:52 PM

That really depends on what stream/river you are fishing. On a river like the SoHo, I'd be really happy if I had 100 yards of water to myself which probably won't happen in the areas with heavier traffic. In some of these places 100-150 feet is a lot. Same thing on my home river, the Caney Fork. Usually 100 feet of water is a lot. I've had people fish to just above, wade around behind me, and get in just below me and keep fishing down. However, if I'm fishing LR above Elkmont and see someone getting in the water 100 yards in front of me, I'll probably feel crowded and get out and walk a few miles... Smaller streams, try to walk at least 10-15 minutes past someone before getting in and at the least, don't jump in just above them within sight... On a larger trout stream that is crowded, observe what everyone else seems to be doing and give a little extra...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-16-2008, 09:15 PM

I had to post again - I just noticed my total posts - ugly number....not having sampled the tailwaters, I knew they were busy, but I didn't think THAT busy. I really haven't had any problems in the park at all - there are so many streams to pick from, and I tend to gravitate to the isolated corners of the park to begin with. It's a lot better than fishing the marsh down here on a weekend - if someone sees your rod doubled over, the armada will be there soon. I've seen some really disgusting behavior, most of it barley-fueled, no doubt. It's a little tough to hike, flyfish, and not spill your beer .
Old 04-16-2008, 09:50 PM

Interesting...Another question...What's "SoHO" and how do you fish the Caney Fork. It's so deep. I've tried below Center Hill ****, but there doesn't seem to be a lot going on.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 PM

Ahhh, yes - combat fishing at its finest...the Tailwater Two Step - the dance we all know well if you're a seasonal veteran of any tailwater and somehow forgot to bring your own rock...or the Clinch River Shuffle as I like to call it when you are finally in a nice hole and even though you are withing a double haul of the next angler - someone manages still to squeeze into the gap between and try to muscle you out...it happens way too much...I had someone last year drift his minnow from upstream into the run I was fishing only to drag out a feeding brown I was after...

but I think most people work thier way upstream and so if see people, I'll move well way up to give them plenty of space to begin with so that by time they get to where I've put in I'm long gone and the waters been rested. Normally though in the Park, I'll just move on to a new location - on a Tailwater, it can be an operation in tactical wading maneuvers, but being civil and having basic manners should apply even if the other anger doesn't...often if a space is open near someone else and options are limited for whatever reason, I'll politely ask to fish that spot...if not I'll move on till I can wet my fly...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:01 PM

BlueRaiderFan, SoHo is short for South Holston River in Upper East Tennessee. The Caney is an excellent river but they've been generating heavily for awhile now... Usual game on that river is midges... If you ever want to meet up I'd be glad to show you some spots on the Caney if they ever stop generating...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Old 04-16-2008, 10:41 PM

PA:

Are you fishing the park this weekend? If you are, and you see a raggedy band of 3 girls and a harried middle-aged guy with a 2wt, you will have found us. Not sure exactly where we're fishing, although I'm sure we'll hit Straight Fork at some point.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:54 PM

IJsouth, I am but I'm not sure of the details yet, probably staying at Cades Cove or Elkmont but may end up packing in. I may head over to the NC side as well for a day to check things out. Shoot me an email and let me know what you're driving. Also, if you'll be fishing LR any and want company let me know...

Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Sounds like there's gonna be quite a few out and about this weekend, I'll be out and about somewhere as we're staying in G-burg this weekend...don't know exact plan yet, but will probably run into some of ya...if you see some goober in a camo shirt with a goofy grin sittin' on a greyback staring at a the water's edge with rod in hand, havin' the time of his life,...we'll that be me 'cuz I'm finally able to be out in the elements where I belong...