Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-16-2008, 11:09 PM

Default Personaly...

I would think it would be best to watch anyone already fishing before assuming they are fishing one direction or another.

Three weeks ago I was fishing one of my favorite roadside Little River spots with a dry and a nymph dropper. I had just rigged up and began to fish with the intention of actually fishing downstream or with the current. No sooner did I begin to fish and move that way only to have another car pull up, the driver and his son get out and move about 20 to 30 yards ahead of me in the direction I was heading. I have to admit I was tempted to be quite angry, but tried to extend mercy and just didn't say anything. I later spoke with the fellow and discovered he evidently knew enough about fishing that he should've known and done better so at this point I figured it would be useless to complain.

Now as a result of this interruption, I decided to fish upstream and caught a nice, nearly foot long Brown. On top of that as I released the Brown that I caught, an Otter appeared to afford me a bit of impromptu entertainment. All in all things worked out, but it would be nice if folks asked before stepping in or at least observed a few minutes before they made an assumption and irritated or frustrated other folks.

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 04-16-2008, 11:13 PM

Mail on the way....
Old 04-16-2008, 11:22 PM

I may dust off the trout fly boxes this weekend also. I hiked up Lynn camp prong last weekend with my son to check out the water. I feel the need to throw some dries to brookies , so you may see me (red jeep cherokee) somewhere in the park also.

I don't usually spend much time on the trout tailwaters anymore due to the combat fishing. Too many other places to spend the day casting a line and relaxing than to get worked up over having enough space. I went up to the SoHo last fall and fished with several fishermen from the CFF below the grates.
At one point, there must have been 100 people up and down the river. The big browns were really being pressured by constant wading and casting while they were trying to spawn. Fishermen were wading through each others areas and tangling lines on backcast. I haven't been back since.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:40 AM

We might hit Lynn Camp too...we caught some nice fish there last time, and if there's ever a stream where one can have no qualms about keeping a few fish, it's there - at least until they close it later this year.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Speckleman5 Send a message via Yahoo to Speckleman5
Default ljsouth

No reason to go to Straight Fork this weekend, at all...no fish anywhere...none
Old 04-17-2008, 05:29 AM

Default Ask

I have found that one of the best, most polite things you can do is just ask the other angler. Usually you will work out a nice compromise. Then you can also find out what water he has fished and when, which will help determine where you want to start fishing.

Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
- Henry David Thoreau
Old 04-17-2008, 06:04 AM

Asking probably is the best way to do it as, like the poster above said, most anglers will come to a compromise with you. I don't really come across too many other anglers while fishing, but i generally just try and do the old saying "treat others like you would want to be treated." So whatever i think is a good distance for someone to fish from me is the distance i give them, which is a pretty good ways.

Craig
Old 04-17-2008, 07:46 AM

Several times when I've asked whether a person is going down or up, and how far, I get some info on what's going on insect-wise. I've even traded some flies & info and met some fishing buddies this way.
Jamie
Old 04-17-2008, 08:35 AM

Hey Gary, check your email...
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
BlueRaiderFan, SoHo is short for South Holston River in Upper East Tennessee. The Caney is an excellent river but they've been generating heavily for awhile now... Usual game on that river is midges... If you ever want to meet up I'd be glad to show you some spots on the Caney if they ever stop generating...

Absolutely, I live in Nashville, so I am close to the CF, but don't really know where to go other than the ****. At th is point, I plan on fishing about 4-5 times a year (With gas and campig/cabin fees etc I can't go much more), but the CF is so close, I can do a day trip.