Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-18-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
I'm not following what you are saying. Go up a bank to a cemetery and then what?
Look at it. It's a piece of history from the region.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the bank is on the left side///look at the cemetery, it's part of the history of the park....it's totally covered by moss in warm weather...it's called the sequoiah cemetery, but he's not there....but in honor of his inventing the cherokee language
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

thanks .....blush
Old 04-21-2008, 10:31 AM

Default Thanks for tips........

Hey everybody, thanks for the tips, advice, and little tidbits (that for you Sam, I love that kind of stuff....). Sorry I wasn't able to reply back quicker, we had a Cub Scout weekend campout and I've been "off-line" since Friday. I am going to take a quick look at the old map and see how Straight Fork or Ocanoluftee might fit into the equation. I will also try diligently to follow the advice of BlueRaiderFan (what is a Blue Raider?) and post some pics, although there seems to be a lot involved. It may be one of those things that seem harder when explaining than when actually doing. Kinda like fly fishing, in reverse (oh, I can make it sound SOOO easy when discussing over a glass of bourbon. Me and Lefty Kreh, right there side by side, just ask me, I'll tell ya ). Speaking of Legends of Fishing, you can rest assured that the Blue gill population at Winton Woods park here in Cincinnati now speaks with reverent fear of the Cub Scouts of Pack 483. No trophy fish in the world is better than the seeing a little kid beam with a blue gill dangling from the end of his line.

Thanks again for the replies..

Ready to get southbound and down,
Old 04-22-2008, 12:08 AM

Default Straight Fork, etc.

Straight Fork's a great recommendation. I'm also a big fan of Bradley Fork starting in Smokemont CG. Deep Creek is nice too.

One thing to think about though, is that by the time you've driven there from Townsend, you've passed an awful lot of excellent water and spent a decent amount of fishing time doing it. That's not to say it's not worth doing, as that's an amazing drive. You soak up a lot of great scenery, and there's nothing that says you MUST resist the urge to get out of the car and wet a line in some unplanned location...just that you may never get where you're going. Personally, that's my quandry when fishing the park. What an awesome problem to have!

Clearly, there's enough awesome water on the NC side to make a trip of it, using Smokemont (and others) as a jumping off point. Just something else to consider.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Thanks.......and more..

Now that I've spent a little time reviewing the map I think I have to agreee with cubefisher, too much time to get over to NC. Perhaps a trip designated to that side is in order. NOW, things have gotten a little more complicated for me. One fishing buddy has bowed out do to work (obviously a complete lack of priority). However, I have an uncle that lives in NC (Catawba County) and his wife recently decided that she is better off on her own. I won't go into the gories but suffice it to say my uncle is feeling lower than a well diggers knee. I offered to come down and hang and he wanted to know if we still did our annual fishing trip. Yep, and come on over. Sounds like fun, he says. However, he has never fly fished in his life. SO, I now have a complete novice (as opposed to me, an incomplete novice) to take with me. Gladly, mind you, it's just that I usually spend the majority of time worrying about me. Anyone have any sage advice on this? This is going to sound crass since I don't have the time to think about crafting it properly, but....I typically only get one no wife/no kids trip a year. What I am looking for are some tips to help bring him along enough that I can spend some time going for a slam. I've thought about a guide, however, he is so strapped from the "proceedings" that he can barely afford the gas to get there. Again, not complaining, I'd walk through **** on Sunday for the guy. I just haven't had to teach fly fishing yet. Maybe this is a good thing, I've got 3 kiddos, 10, 6, and 4 that are tearing it up with the spin casters and they've already started to ask about the fly rods.

Sorry to ramble, this just popped up the last day and I've not had time to think it all through.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM

You can borrow a rig for him ahead of time, provide a copy of the Lefty or Wulff videos, or just point him in the direction of some websites that teach casting.

Email him a shopping list of flies and essentials to pick up at a local shop. It's key that he has his own trimmers, extra leaders, a spool of tippet, etc.

Before you step in the river make sure he knows how to tie on a fly and add tippet to a leader.

Practice is pretty fun; encourage that in the days prior to the trip. Then when you get there, show some basics about reading the stream, ethics about crowding other fishermen, then let him make his own mistakes in private.

Not to oversimplify, but what a great way to wade through tough times. Check in with him periodically on the stream. You don't have to fish elbow to elbow. The solitude is half the joy.

That's my 2 cents.