Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Old 04-21-2008, 04:41 PM

Default Trout and the sense of smell...

I really didn't know where to post this.

I was just wondering on how powerful is the sense of smell in trout.

I carry the Scientific Angler Waterproof boxes with different size inserts. That way I can customize my boxes according to the water I'm fishing. While the inserts with flies aren't being used I store them in boxes with mothballs. I wonder about the smell of the mothballs on flies and the toxicity. I just use a single mothball at a time. Any thoughts?

Dude
Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM

Default Moth balls

Dude,

Disclaimer- I am not scientist. I've never claimed to be one. Take my advice at your own risk.

I've heard that a fish's sense of smell is great. I would think that something such as a moth ball would eventually be coated in some sort of petroleum product that would leave an invisible scum lime on the water smelling like a moth ball. Since most fish face into the current, any water that has picked up the scent of the moth ball would get to the fish before the fly, lessening the chance of catching that fish.

If you're wanting to keep bugs out of them, just put them in a zip-lock and throw them in the freezer.

Buzz
Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Hound Trout

Scents might attract and they might repel, somethings smell tasty, somethings are are just plain foul smelling. The only way I gave to describe a trout's sence of smell is to say it can follow scent trails, which puts it up there in sensitivity. I would say it is as close to that of a catfish with out needing wiskers.