Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-18-2008, 03:42 PM

Default Clinch Report 4/18

Started off the morning by using midges for an hour without success. The surface activity really picked up so at about 9:45 so I switched to a sulfur comparidun. First cast was immediate success. 12-14 incher in my hand. In the next hour caught about 12 more all except for 1 were over 12 inches. All rainbows except for about 2 browns. Needless to say my fly was down for the count and the water was about to rise. The fishing could not have been better.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to FFM4LIFE

Where were you fishing at?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:31 PM

Default Location

I was fishing at the Church.
I hope everyone else has a great weekend fishing! Unfortunately I will be studying all day tomorrow and it will be at least a week before I am able to hit the water again.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:27 PM

Default PTN's ?

Do you think you might have had better success fishing a #14-16 pheasant tail instead of the midge? The hatch should be firing up so the grass there is in full swing with sulphur nymphs waiting for their moment in the sun to hatch. I have found mostly E. invaria #14-16 hatches first, then the E. dorthea #16-18 follow. Far larger than the mighty midge.

Try a PTN or an emerger nymph (I use crystal flash for a wingcase) prior to any hatch activity. Maybe that first hour won't be fishless. Those fish are looking for those Big Mac's instead of a french fry to eat.

Good luck

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/Sulphurs.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...h/DSCN0156.jpg
Old 04-20-2008, 03:46 PM

Default Flat Fly n

Man, where'd you come up with that mess of bugs? Looks like a double hand-full. Were all those from one rock?

baker
Old 04-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Default Uh, I cannot tell a lie.

That picture is from about 15 years ago. It was taken on the Clinch, down by the jail, in the hayday of sulphur hatches. It came from 2(two) 14-15' browns that one of my friends decided to keep. Talk about stuffed. When we went to clean them the duns were literally falling out of their mouths.

"pigs get slaughtered"
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 PM

Default Thanks for the Advice!

I appreciate the advice and will definitely start off with the BPT next week. I am fairly new to the Clinch having fished GSNP for years. Thanks again.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:56 PM

Thanks for sharing the information. I went down by the church a few weeks ago to check it out. I am still trying to learn what to use, where to use it and how to use it. Appreciate the insight, and hope to see you out there sometime.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:09 PM

I've fished above the weir dam, but not below it. And I'm not familiar with that part of the Clinch -- so where is the church you're referring to?

Thanks,
JohnR
Old 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM

If you get off interstate 40 on the anderson country exit take a left (instead of a right like you were going to norris dam) on highway 61 (I think that is what its called) and then you will travel for about 5-10 minutes and you will cross a bridge over the clinch. Take the first right and you will pass a soccer field and keep going until you reach the church. Most people go around back, the church allows parking except for wednesday nights. Then you can see some good riffles right next to the parking lot. Those might be a big confusing but I'm sure some else could clear them up.