Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 PM

Question Deep Creek

I was planning on backpacking deep creek trail towards the beginning of April and I was wondering if it was too early in the season to fish that area?
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM

That is a pretty hard question to answer considering the weather can be finicky during april, it may be 80 degrees and it may be 50. I made a trip to the tn side of the park last april and if i remember correctly the water was still between 45-50. That being said, deep creek is a good destination to go to and i'm sure you will enjoy your trip. What campsite are you planning on staying at?

Craig
Old 02-18-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Campsite

We were planning on starting at Clingmans Dome and then hiking down to Campsite 53 for the first night, and fish around that campsite. Then the next day we were going to hike and fish down towards 56 considering its only about 3 miles it should be a lot more fishing than hiking. I do not know much about this area or these campsites so I am kind of going in blind but I guess that is part of the adventure.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:45 AM

Default A Couple of Questions

Are you going to park a second car down at the Deep Creek frontcountry campground, or are you planning on hiking back up to Clingman's dome?

If you are planning on hiking back up, have you considered starting at the top of the Deep Creek Trail on US441 below Newfound Gap? It's shorter to Campsite #53 and has less elevation change.

I've fished the upper sections of Deep Creek down to campsite #53 and from what I have heard, most of the other campsites on Deep Creek are nicer than 53. I stopped there last September and it looked awfully rough and rundown. Others have had good things to say about it, but I'm planning a trip up Deep Creek this Spring, and I'm probably going to stay at 55, 56 or 57.

I think some other folks have stayed at some of the other sites along Deep Creek, as well, and may have a better recommendation for you.

You also might want to consider starting at the bottom and hiking up to CS 56, and then fishing up from there...it would be about the same distance, but much less elevation change.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:35 AM

I stayed at 57 last november and it was a very enjoyable trip. That campsite is probably one of the most popular on the river, although the only neighbors we had were on horseback one night, the other we were by ourselves. I plan on coming down from the dome and staying at 53 this summer and trying my hand out on that part of the river as well. Anyways, i can't speak for around 53, but the fishing around where we were was good last time we went. There are some big boys cruising around in there.

Craig
Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Pete,
That is a good idea on hiking down from Newfound Gap I had not looked at that until now and I think that is what I am going to do. The reason that we are going to stay at 53 is because I am still a student and I do not get out of school on Friday until 4:00 so I would rather not hike in the dark to 57, and I think I could make it to 53 a lot quicker. We are going to stay there Friday though and were going to hike down to one of the other campsites the next day. Then we were just going to hike back up deep creek trail to the car.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:15 PM

That makes good sense. You should be able to make it from the TH on Newfound Gap to #53 in about 90 minutes with a pack. The hike back out is tough, but you're still young...

Here are a couple of past reports from the area...hope they help:

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=8836
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9390
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ead.php?t=9164

Make sure you post a report....have fun!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:31 PM

Hey thanks for all the help Pete and Mtnman. I am definatly going to have to look into some things, but I will make sure to post how the trip went.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:07 PM

No problem, i've only been there once but if you have any more questions about deep creek just ask. I plan on going back there at least twice this year so i'll be sure and post a report. It's a great place to fish hope you enjoy yourself when you're out there.

Craig
Old 02-20-2008, 12:15 AM

I'm with Craig on this one and voting with my feet. Deep Creek is one of the places I really enjoyed and will be trying to figure out how to spend more time there this year. I can't say that about some of the other places I went to last year...